New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Steyr
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know there have been some threads on this cartridge but I can't find em. Anybody have experience with this? Thanks

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Z-Hat lists a reamer for the "416 Aagard" which I assume from their site is a wildcat on an improved 376 Steyr case. There is also a rifle maker with his own version but the name escapes me at the moment.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tiggertate. It seems to me that it would be similiar ballistically to Saeed's 375/404 since the 376 is very similiar to the 375. And it would fit in a Mexican Mauser. Here I go again.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob....ballistics wouldn't even be close. Saeed's 375/404 has more capacity that a regular 375 H&H while the 376 Steyr has a lot less capacity than the 375 H&H.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I think about the best you can get from a 400 grain bullet would be 2150 or 2200 but that is still big medicine. I wouldn't offer even a guess on the improved version.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Harry,
I would expect, since the 375 taylor is ~87gr and the 376 is ~81 gr, that you could get 2200 with a "normal" barrel... and match the vernerable killer, 450/400.

just like you said.. and improved version? you MIGHT get that 7 grains back.. then have more trouble feeding...

yeee ha..

or, someone could write zhat and ask?

jeffe

Posts: 38480 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I would not want the improved version just because of the potential feeding issue. What's a hundred FPS among friends?

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Harry,
I couldn't have said it better... 100 fps of "braggin" vs the feeding troubles...

wonder what a 416 taylor UNimproved would feedlike?

jeffe

One of Us
Picture of Zeglin
posted Hide Post
Just stopped by and saw this thread. The 416 Aagaard is an improved 376 steyr case with a .495" shoulder and about 5.3 gr. more water case capacity than the parent case.

We built this cartridge for a personal friend of Mr. Aagaard's who wanted to build a gun he thought his friend would have liked.

Our tests had a 350 gr. Speer Mag Tip approaching 2400 fps with no pressure signs, and a 400 gr. Hawk Round nose at 2150 fps, again with no sign of pressure concerns. We tried 15 different loads to insure reliable results, I left the rest of the load development to the client.

Many folks have asked me about a 416 Hawk in place of the 411 Hawk. The 416 Aagaard fills that position nicely, providing a cartridge with a wide selection of bullets.

Good Shootin!

Posts: 37 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Howdy Fred,
welcome to the forums... i've long enjoyed your site, and thanks for the info

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Guys, Thanks for all this info. I'm going to try it on a Mexican Mauser. From your advice looks like I would be better off with the standard version rather than the improved. Hope to start the project early in September.