New
Find
Notify
Tools

6-284
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a good load for a 6-284? I have a friend that just picked his up from the shop and is going to be using it for a deer rifle.Thanks!

Posts: 92 | Location: Church Hill,Tn | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tnbrian98:
Does anyone have a good load for a 6-284? I have a friend that just picked his up from the shop and is going to be using it for a deer rifle.Thanks!

There are some good loads in the Hodgdon manual; I've been using a medium H-4831 load with 85-grain Nosler and Speer bullets. There are also some good loads in P.O Ackley's book ( forget whether volume I or II ), but they are for older powders. My rifle is a rechambered 243, and doesn't have enough twist for 117 VLDs; I'm not sure at what bullet length it stops stabilizing bullets. A 95 grain Nosler works all right, have not tried 105 grains.

Tom

Posts: 14389 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
My accuracy loads for this round are: 53 grains of IMR 4350 with the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT (varmints) or Nosler Partition 85 grain (deer); and 53 grains H4831 with the Sierra 100 grain PSPBT or Nosler 95 gr. Partition (deer). My gun has a longer throat, made for the 105 gr. Speer spitzer seated to the base of the neck, so work up with caution. I intended to use the Speer for everything, but it never shot well in my gun! The Sierras and Nosler Partitions do! ("One ragged hole".) [Big Grin]

[ 08-08-2003, 16:30: Message edited by: eldeguello ]