Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Apex- anyone heard of this
 Login/Join

posted
A local gun shop is getting in a double square bridge mauser that is chambered in this round. My understanding is that it is a completely custom rifle build for a safari. I have never heard of it, any information would be helpful.

Posts: 8 | Location: Roswell, New Mexico | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
MLMS--

Apex was the name of Bill Atkinson's barrel company for many years. He did quite a few wildcats from 375 H&H cases and I suspect that one is one of them.

Pour a chamber cast and figure out how to make ammo.

An original double square bridge Mauser action is worth from $3000 UP.....WAY up.

posted Hide Post
Is there any information about this company or his cartridges? I have looked in the Ackley books but there is no mention of it. Thanks MACK

Posts: 8 | Location: Roswell, New Mexico | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Not that I know of.

I'm repeating snatches of late night conversations with Fred Barnes as he tried to dry up a Jack Daniels bottle. [Smile]

He was showing various wildcats in his collection and we had a conversation about some of the Apex line. Since I was doing my part to empty ol' Jack I dis-remember a lot of that trip.

It was 1968, Grand Junction, Colorado.

posted Hide Post
Thanks for your information. By the way, it would appear you have a wonderful memory. If I find anything out I will post the information. By looking at the action, it would appear this round is going to be very similar to the 33 Winchester magnum. I think I will give Ken Howell a call and see if he knows anything about this round.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Jack -

Are you sure Apex Barrel Company was Bill Atkinson's? I thought it was Sam May's outfit.

The 1963 Gun Digest lists Apex Barrel Company as doing business at 7628 San Fernando Blvd, Sun Valley, Calif. It also lists Atkinson & Marquart barrel company as doing business at the same time at Box 1713, Prescott, Arizona.

I know Bill Atkinson and Paul Marquart were in Prescott, as Paul was a very close personal friend of mine up until his death.

Sam moved Apex to Flagstaff, Arizona a few years ago, just a couple of years before his death, if my memory hasn't gone gunnysack...which it may well have.

Not arguing, just asking...I have a few brain pharts every now and then...

AC

[ 05-30-2003, 23:51: Message edited by: Alberta Canuck ]

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Circa, 1974-75 I spoke with Sam May out in California about my 300 Apex that I had inherited from my uncle. He was very nice to me and told me how to form the brass.

The Apex rifle company has long been out of business. My 300 Apex is my go to rifle. Rough on brass, but a very accurate rifle.

Rusty
We band of brothers!

[ 05-30-2003, 11:32: Message edited by: Rusty ]

<JBelk>
posted
AC--

You could be right....I'm just going by the sign on the wall that said "Apex Barrels". I assumed that was the A&M name at the time.

I have a photographic memory when it comes to guns but there's long periods of no film and many double exposures. [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Apex had two 30 cal magnums. One was a shortened H&H case similar to many short mags of the day. They also had a 300 long mag which was a std 300 H&H with a sharp shoulder that reduced case stretching.When the 338 cal bullets became availible the long version was necked up to 338 making it similar to the 334 OKH mag which was a 375 case necked down to take 333 cal bullets.They may have made a short 338 Apex as well.As Mr Belk has suggested pour a chamber cast.Should be easy to neck up 300 H&H brass if it it the long version. I would neck up to 35 then back down to 338 to headspace on the shoulder.

Posts: 2436 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .270 Apex takes 7mm Remington Mag necked down or .264winmag necked up. That's all I can tell you as I have only fired it 5 times to see if indeed the 7mm brass would fireform properly.

I have an apex barrel on my .458 as well, I have been told that the barrels were good.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Dago Red,
Man, you are missing a great time with your Apex.
My short magnum 300 is a wonderful shooter. I use 150 grain Nosler Partition driven around 3400-3450 fps.

I use 338 necked down or even better I got some 308 Norma Mag brass and used that! Nothing mystical about fire forming cases. Nice moderate load works well in my rifle. Drag out that Apex Dago! I think you will be impressed!

Rusty
We band of brothers!