Find
Notify
Tools

.25-.284?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Well before this thread all went to hell.........I asked if there are any .25-.284 shooters on here. I use it primarily for coyotes, as well as deer and pronghorn. I had never really intended to have one but circumstances and opportunity at an estate sale for a barreled action cropped up and now I have one.

I have been using 100 grain Wildcat (now defunct) for coyotes and the load I settled on shoots really well and groups 3 inside of an inch at 200 yards. I have taken several coyotes with it at 400-500 yards, which is as far as I am ever going to shoot at game of any type.

If anyone on here has one and wants to yap about loads, etc........drop me a pm.

I never realized mauser actions were held in such disdain by some shooters. I guess I must be getting old as I find there are way too many on the internet that are rude to the point that it is not tolerable. Anyone who acted like the display on here in real life where I live would find themselves kissing dirt in short order. The anonymity of hiding behind a monitor seems to bring out the worst in some.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
I used the cartridge for many years.

Remington style actions are viewed by many

as more easily made accurate than the Mauser--

for a number of reasons.

In a hunting rifle there is little difference until you start spending lots of money on mods.

Ultimately, I sold the 25-284 in favor of my .257 AI , less powder, near identical performance.

My favorite 25-284 varmint load was H4831 58grs under the 87gr Speer--

accurate and deadly.

I'm sure modern powders might improve this cartridge as they have for others.

As to trying to help the disturbed, guess I could have done it by PM--

just believed he might stop and think more in a public situation.

Pardon the thread hijack.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
No problem on the hijack.

I know mauser actions are considered not to be as accurate as some of the out of the box types and there are lots of Rem. 700 nuts out there. Each to their own and I try not to bash anyones choice of action...........because it is their choice and their rifle.

I have always preferred having CRF actions for hunting and so I try to have all of my bolt guns that I use feel and operate the same. Just my personal choice.

My parents brought us up so that when you go to someones house you don't say anything unless you can say something nice. The display on here in several forums was akin to going into someones house for the first time and saying "Good god that is ugly carpet and don't you know dark kitchen cupboards went out two decades ago?"

Disturbed is right. I also see a lot of the younger people these days who do not seem to be able to distinguish the difference between being politically correct and being polite. We are all tired of having to be PC about everything, but I don't think it is wrong to expect others to be civil and at least try to be polite.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote