New
Find
Notify
Tools

favorite powders for 6mmx.284?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought I had a suitable load for my 6x.284. 53 grains of IMR 4831 with a 95 grain Nosler BT worked pretty good. Unfortunately I developed the load when it was about 40-50 dgrees farenheit ourside and now that it's 80 degrees plus, I'm blowing primers and having other major pressure signs with this load. If I reduce it, it won't shoot. What powders has anyone out there had success with in this caliber with the heavier bullets. H-414 is the only other powder I've tried in this gun and it's a loser.

Migra

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
cheersyou might want to try 5010.It worked well in my 25/06 IMP. I doubt if can over load it at any temperature even at full compression and it is super cheap. beer

Using it in a .243 with a 100 gr.bulk psp from Mid South produced a 12 shot group just less than an inch at 50 yds. The velocity was over 2400fps.You just can't get enough of it in that case size. Frowner

The .284 cases would be a very different story. lolroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Migra --- You may want to try a slower powder for the 6/284. The load you mention is my load for the 85 grain weight 6mm's. H1000, or possible R25 may fill it out better. Good lck with your awesome hotrod rifle!

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I do not have a 6mmX284 to play with any more, but when I did H 450 was a great powder in that rifle.

Unfortunately, that powder is no longer available.

I would be tempted to try RL 22 and, or RL 25 with the heavier bullet weights.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I hearing right that I need to go to a slower burning powder? I thought 4831 was pretty slow. I guess I need to get me head out of the sand and see what's available.

Posts: 137 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 04 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
I too no longer have a 6x284, but I was loading 56.8grs of H1000 behind an 87gr v-max. Out of my 30 inch barrel, 5 shots at an average of 3505fps.

I have heard that H4350 is the powder to use for velocity, but I could never get the stuff to shoot accurately in my rifle. H1000 delivered 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards and the spread of velocity between shots was only about 8fps.

I tried H4831 but found it dirty and inconsistent.

You may also want to try Reloader 22, as I hear good things about that powder in the 6x284.

Regards,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Give IMR7828ssc a try. A bit slower than RL22, just the thing for heavier bullets in smaller bores.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VV N 560 would also be worth a try. I understand that it will be available in one pound cans some time this year instead of the 2 pound cans of the past. It's a clean burning and very consistent powder which produced the best accuracy with heavy bullets in my 6.5. Quality control is so tight with VihtaVuori powders that you don't have to redevelop your load data when going to a new powder lot...Rusty.

Posts: 280 | Location: Fresno, California | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that RL-22 is the best for my particular 700 based 6/284. Best all around powder for accuracy and velocity. Hope you like youe 6mm/284----I sure do mine. Too bad i gotta sell it!

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote