New
Find
Notify
Tools

wildcat loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When starting with a "new" wildcat how do you determine a safe load to start? I know you guys don't just pour in the powder and top it off with a bullet and hope for the best. Is there a formula that helps find a starting load?
thanks

Posts: 56 | Location: WV | Registered: 09 March 2003Reply With Quote
<DuaneinND>
posted
mostly it is based off case capacity for the bore size- and then you tie the rifle to a tire and hide behind a tree and pull the trigger with a string! Seriously after you know the case capacity you can calculate the loads or find a known cartridge of similar capacity, some of the different "programs" will help calculate- but there is a lot of trial and sometimes some error. You only live once so you might as well enjoy!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best tool for figuring out the information you are looking for is QuickLoad. Cost 150 bucks, but you simply put in all the relevant cartridge measurements and Quickoad will give a list of powders, weights, and pressure. Of course this is all hypothetical data, but it gives a great baseline.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A lot depends on how closely the case capacity resembles a known cartridge for which starting load data is available. Otherwise, as the folks above have stated, you have to base your starting loads on the expansion ratio of the cartridge/bore combination, and use some sort of calculation device, be it a computer program or a gadget like the Powley Computer, a relatively inexpensive little cardboard slide rule that calculates starting loads based on case capacity, bore diameter, and bullet sectional density. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks
I have my 20 tactical almost ready to go and the only loads I can find are for hodgon and vit. powders. I have always very good luck with IMR and wanted to give them a try in it.

Since this case is simply a 223 rem necked down could I start with a 40 gr. load for the 223 and work up or would this be unsafe? The only bullets available are 33 and 36 gr.

I am new to wildcatting so any info is greatly appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuaneinND:
mostly it is based off case capacity for the bore size- and then you tie the rifle to a tire and hide behind a tree and pull the trigger with a string! Seriously after you know the case capacity you can calculate the loads or find a known cartridge of similar capacity, some of the different "programs" will help calculate- but there is a lot of trial and sometimes some error. You only live once so you might as well enjoy!

I know a couple of old wildcatters who used to do just that, Seriously, they had no computers, no reloading manuals like we do today, most of the stuff they scrounged up was military surplus or junk by todays standards yet they turned out half way decent hunting rifles, if you ever meet one of these old boys and get them B.Sing, listen to them. You never know when the electricity will go out and we'll have to revert back to the old ways or find new hobbies!! [Eek!]

On the Accurate Arms website is a place for you to write in all your info and they will send you some starting loads and info based on the info you give them. I've used it on a few cartridges that aren't wildcats but have limited info on them, they are very helpful.
http://www.accuratepowder.com/

Wes

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
orland............go to www.varminthunters.com or better still www.sauber.com both places have lots of info on the various 20-calibers....also www.woodchuckden.com which is the home of the sub-calibers.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all
These are some great sights. They will get me pointed in the right direction.