THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Which wildcat cartridge is the most difficult to reload/form/create?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which wildcat cartridge is the most difficult to reload/form/create?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted
I just got into reloading wildcats (458ar) and have it easy just a trim and a resize. I know there is more difficult ones; like swaging on a belt, moving the shoulder foward, just interested in knowing how far you could take it.

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
228 Ackley Double Shoulder Magnum

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
on a more serious note: my 22-378 Wbee/Ackley shoulder was a pain. CPS dies and six neck bushings.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
on a more serious note:Rich

Rich

I didn't make that one up. P.O. did that one hisself. Why? I'm not positive but I think it was to test duplex loading.

I considered showing the Eargesplittenloudenboomer too.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I saw one 'cat' a guy used 5 different sets of dies to make. Is that tough enough for ya?

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Peyton
heh, the 550 flanged, 550 express, 500AR, 470AR, 458AR and 416AR are all designed to be easy to make and "in" the parent brass.. working brass over with forming, trim, reforming, and then reaming the necks has driven me crazy before... heck, even the 257jls (wsm) was designed to NOT require reaming, i just speced my neck to be .005 thicker than "normal" for a 25...

if it is more than bang, then trim, i know i will loose interest about the 3rd case i ruin ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39673 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
FrownerWhen you are trying to get a fair quantity of brass. Any wildcat that you have to cut to length, form in several stages, trim to length , turn the necks perhaps more than once, load and fire form. holycowroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe & Roger

I'm with you guys. I've got a 5 gallon bucket of ruined cases under my workbench as we speak. That century-old 22 Long Rifle cartridge looks better and better each year. Roll Eyes Cool

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
Jeffe & Roger

I'm with you guys. I've got a 5 gallon bucket of ruined cases under my workbench as we speak. That century-old 22 Long Rifle cartridge looks better and better each year. Roll Eyes CoolRay

Doesn't bump a senior's shoulder as bad either. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
Forming .219 Donaldson Wasp from 30-30 Winchester is a real pain. Have to form in 3 dies then trim to length then neck turn and finally fireform.
A real pain but a very accurate ctg.

Do it right the first time.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BobG, am having that joyful experience this week.

Cheechako, would I be very far off running a 300Wbee case thru a 22-06 FL die to make the Ackley cartridge you showed?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
BobG, am having that joyful experience this week.

Cheechako, would I be very far off running a 300Wbee case thru a 22-06 FL die to make the Ackley cartridge you showed?Rich
DRSSQUOTE]

The case Cheechako shows actually was made with a die that had that shoulder cut into it. In running cases throhgh a die and letting the entrance diameter of the die do the forming , you get no defined angle per say. Done that been there. Hope you don't mind me fielding this one Cheechako. Roll Eyesroger

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter: Cheechako, would I be very far off running a 300Wbee case thru a 22-06 FL die to make the Ackley cartridge you showed?Rich

Rich

About the only way to make the Ackley DSH Magnum is to fire-form it. That means making a reamer. I made my own 1/2 reamer to make a chamber. Then I cobbled up a rough case using various dies that I had on hand and fire-formed it. The straight part of the case is smaller in diameter than an '06. Closer to a 30-30 actually.

There's a guy who had a reamer and dies made and has formed a few cases to sell to guys who want one. I don't know what he charges for one. I'm not sure if he uses original .227" bullets or not. I'll PM you with his e-mail address.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don´t know if i remember it exactly, but some years ago a guy from PS-Magazin did a Wildcat named "6mm Themosbottle" ??? Based on a 7,82PATRIOT Case and needed up to 12 working steps to have a case ready to be fireformed.....

Best

2RECON

Posts: 140 | Location: GERMANY | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ShortandFat
posted Hide Post
There is a name for it, CH4D make dies for it, I can't remember the name, but it's a 44 Remington Magnum necked down to .22 or is it .17 ? has more velocity than the hornet but not quite as much as a .222, Lots of steps involved in necking down and thinning the brass out

How do I know, well I have a Ruger 77/44 That I thought would make a great conversion and made some enquires....forget it !

regards
S&F

Posts: 463 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The 300 Phoenix was the worst we had to work with, and the results were no where near as claimed.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68747 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ptaylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
The 300 Phoenix was the worst we had to work with, and the results were no where near as claimed.

What is the case based on?

Posts: 328 | Location: central TX | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pt

Saeed must be out celebrating. It's already 2008 over there. Wink

It's a 416 Rigby necked to 308 and shortened to 2.5". One of Gale McMillan's designs.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Which wildcat cartridge is the most difficult to reload/form/create?

50 some years ago, I knew a Dr. that was a hobby gunsmith. He designed and built a .22 that he made out of chopped off '06 brass. I would guess he could have made it from any cartridge with that size base/body, but he had a lot of '06 brass. Kind of similar to a .22 PPC. He also built the dies. I don't remember how many times he reamed/turned the necks, but he had 13 dies in the custom die box for it.

Yes, it was 200 yd. Tack driver! He only neck sized the fired brass.

Only an anecdotal report, but is an answer to your question.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think i´ve got it......

A 6mm based on a 7mm Rem Mag Case.
January Issue of PS.
Lots and Lots of work, including change to smaler Primer Pocket

Best

2RECON

Posts: 140 | Location: GERMANY | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose that it would be classed as a "custom" rather than a wildcat but I would suggest the "Greener.321 Multiball" cartridge:

Although there are some of us in the UK that don't quite believe it and think it was a spoof cartridge. I saw one about twenty-five years ago.
http://cartridgecollectors.org/cmo/cmo07may.htm

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
now that's odd ...

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39673 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
17 Mohler Swift!!!!

Aloha, mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote