Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to this
 Login/Join

posted
I have been reloading for awhile now but i found this website and now want to know how you go about to design a wildcat. like what case do you choose and why and things like that.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
This is how I started. I went on to use the same design from 243-416. For the 375 & 411 versions I now use cylinder brass instead of 280.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
here's my approach
1: there must be a problem to solve
2: there must be a rational for solving it
3: the resulting case must be "in" another case
4: projected results must be valuable enough to spend ~1k usd to build a test platform.

i have taken to completion
257 jls - 300 wsm to .257, no other changes - this is a short action 257 weatherby, period
416 AR - improved and shortened rum cases
458 AR - improved and shortened rum cases
470 AR - improved and shortened rum cases
500 AR - improved and shortened rigby cases
550 Flanged - improved and shortened 577/500cases

major round that i have worked on, but didn't invent
550 express improved and shortened 460w cases - first one to shoot these, first person to take game with a .550 -
45/120 nitro - modern loading of the 45/120, NOT safe for "period" guns. However, there actually weren't enough "period" guns made, as compared to all other US 45s, to worry about
550 Black powder express - Hogkiller's invention on my 550 flanged -- my avatar is ab out 180gr of goex cartridge being set off on one

with the exception of the rim carts, ALL of my carts mut fit into a standard length action, as "anyone" can make a big bullet go fast in a magnum length action ... (just teasing)

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help and is there any good books on this subject

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Fred Zeglin did a book, and has a course, on designing wildcats.

Basically, ammoguide is your best bet for seeing them, and the results, of wildcats.

Basically, anything with no loads, unless new, can be ignored. Also, look for N>1 in number of rifles.

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThe reasons folks design and or build wildcats is varied.Some never build wildcats but design and redesign and get their kicks doing that and discussing their ideas with those of the same ilk.Once in a while something even comes of all the chit chat. Obviosly it is a fun thing. clapSome carry the idea or concept to completion and get satisgaction in the doing and also, at times, the end result. We also tend to put a lot of money into the project.
Eeker
The reason I designed my first wildcat was to wed the Win. Mod 94 to a 6.5 x 30-30 IMP. I was sporterizing a 6.5 Carcano at the time and was impressed by its performance. Everyone at that time wanted to be a cowboy and the Mod.94 was the cowboys rifle.After drawing up the cartridge I sent it to Warren Page who I really wanted to impress. His reply was considerate of my feelings but let me know that this effort would yield no reward. Frowner

Not long after Ruger's new 44 mag. carbine grabbed my attention. It was being touted as a fine brush deer gun. It struck me that there should be a cartridge of reasonale large caliber that could do better than the 44 mag. and lend itself to bolt actions, slide actions, lever actions and auto feeds. What I came up with was a .375 caliber using something like the 235 grain Speer semi pointed bullet, a cut down 30/06 case about 1 5/8" long and improved. Something like this seemed to offer an additional effective range of perhaps 50 yards over the 44 mag.
fishing What would be known later as the .375x41 was drawn up,as was a .358 x 41 ,7.62 x 41 and a 7mm X 41. All had a neck length of 1 caliber and a 26.5 degree shoulder which allowed the same head space gages to be used. From the time of conception till I could afford to have four rifles made 21 years had passed. it was serendippitous that the three largest calibers made excellent cast bullet rifles.All four met or exceeded all expectations.Purely by chance the 7.62 X41 nearly duplicates Frank Barnes' .306 X 1.625".
beer The next wildcat was a 6mm X .270 IMP. It was suppose to be a 6mm /06 but Fred Barnes got a little carried away and went .050" to deep. Its birth was brought about by a little dissatisfaction with the 22 Varminter( now 22-250) as a mule deer rifle. At the time I was sold on Hydraulic Shock and wanted more of it. With the Barnes' original heavey bullets The 6mmm X .270 IMP was magnificent on mule deer but proved to be not great for elk.
coffeeClose to the same time I rechambered a very special 6.5 Arasaka to 6.5X.284 allowing me to have reloadable cases and a fairly powerfull cartridge.I thought I was the first to create this wildcat but since have found out that I probably wasn't. With heavier well constructed bullets there was no better deer rifle. With coventionally constucted bullets of 140grains or less all disintergrated before they went 25 yards.The 160 grain Hornady's and Normas along with Barnes' originals were just fantastic.This wildcat came into being only because I had a rifle for which I could not ammo.
WinkThe .358 X 404 IMP saw light of day only because I wanted a 35 cal. beltless cartridge That would deliver somewhat greater energy than the .375 H&H.Works just fine. thumb
Big Grin The 8mm X .425WR Imp was an endeavor the convert Mod. 98 Mausers to a true poor man's magnum by simply rechambering and modifying feed rails. Except for the fact that all the .425 brass was to soft this worked. To eliminate the soft brass issue the bolt face was opened up to accept the .404 cases. This was OK but ran into poor quality machining issues.

My next project will probably be a 22jet rimless rifle. I have no good reason to do this other than I want to and it can be done with a minimum cost.
space Hopefully this at least tells you why one person wildcats. beer Man I have never been so windy roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am planning on buying a savage 110 to chamber to one. i need an idea of what would be good and easy to form. what i need is a 200 yard and closer coyote rifle that will shoot some crows every once in awhile also. I want it not to be bigger than 22 cal. thanks up front

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyeswell if it has to be a wildcat and easy to form you might try something like a .222 improved with a 30 degree shoulder and a 1 in 9 twist for heavier bullets, or something close.The rifle shoud be deep throated to accomodate the longer bullets. You might start with a Stevens Mod. 200.
Big GrinTo tell the truth, unless you have an itch to scratch there are quite a few factory cartridges that will serve your need. I was where you are in the early 60s and got a McGowen barreled action in 22 Varminter. Now it is called a 22-250. My dies from that time still carry the 22 Varminter stamping. Post what you finally deside. BOOMroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
To tell the truth, unless you have an itch to scratch there are quite a few factory cartridges that will serve your need. I was where you are in the early 60s and got a McGowen barreled action in 22 Varminter. Now it is called a 22-250. My dies from that time still carry the 22 Varminter stamping. Post what you finally deside.

Build a wildcat if you simply want one. You can pretty much find one already to go to cover just about any "want". The factory rounds will cover most "needs".

Most of use simply want to be different dancing

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

posted Hide Post
i have a 222 so i was looking on what i could use the stock pile of 223 military stuff i got laying around and what do u guys think of the 17/222.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I'd run my brass in a 17Rem die clean up the neck and be happy. If you want to shorten it by .09" go for it.

4-D has the 17-222 reamer
http://4-dproducts.com/display...owid=16&tname=rental

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

posted Hide Post
how accurate are they and need some load data i think that what i am gonna go with.