Find
Notify
Tools

219 Donaldson Wasp on a Rem 700
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted
I have a Remington Short Action model 700 in 308 Win that I was thinking of changing to 219 Donaldson Wasp.Can this be done?If so would the bolt face I have on it work?What about the Mag and follower will it work?I know other calibers would be easyer but the Wasp is what I would like to do if posible.Thanks in advance.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
The rim diameter of the 219 Donaldson Wasp is the same as the 30-30 Win. at .506 diameter. The bolt face of a Rem. is for the standard .473 diameter. Would not work without some work. Have to open it up and add a Sako extractor.
It also would not feed properly without some work on the action since it is a rimmed type ctg. I have an old Wasp built on a Win. pre 64 action. Feeds ok but I usually use it a single shot. Very accurate.
Used to be the bench rest ctg. to beat before the .222 Rem. was introduced. Is quite a job to form and make up the cases from 30-30 cases. Forming dies are quite expensive also.
Good luck and hope this helps.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob I think I will do another project instead.Thanks for the info.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not open up the bolt face and use a bench rest follower and have an accurate single shot 219DW?
It is a really good and accurate cartridge.
TDLefty

Posts: 71 | Location: Mineralwells, WV | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One way to lessen the pain of building a 219 Wasp on a M700 short action is to form the brass from 225 Win brass instead of 30-30. The .473 head of the 225 works just fine. Otherwise you do as previously stated and open up the boltface to .506 and change to a sako style extractor. The last resort is you put each 30-30 case in a 3/8" collet in your trusty south bend lathe and turn the rim to .473. The case forming dies from RCBS are over $200. Formed brass can be purchased from EABrown Co. for $45/100. A 219 Wasp on a M700 action would be a deadly varmint rifle and with careful handloading will still give a good account of itself in a benchrest match. Contrary to what you read in some publications all matches are not won with .150" groups. I have been a fan and user of the 219 Donaldson Wasp for 40 years. I am just finishing up a new one on a Ruger No.1 Action. While they require some work to accomplish a true gun nut is not bothered by this and enjoys having and using a rifle that you cannot buy at Wallyworld. Jerry

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote