THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    50 Alaskan and 500 maximum from 50 - 110 brass?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

50 Alaskan and 500 maximum from 50 - 110 brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wanted to make these two wildcats on my own simply cutting down the parent case.Here 348 Winchester cases are uncommon but I have several new empty 50 - 110 Winchester cases made by Bertram.
External dimensions are identical ( since 348 winchester was made simply necking down the 50 - 110 case) but I am wondering if the Bertram cases are too weak fro the alaskan and maximum pressure levels.I have never see these wildcats made from 50 - 110 winchester brass even if available to date ( in the past it wasn't)

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
50 Alaskan brass is manufactured here in the U.S. by Starline. I know you can't buy directly from them as you are in Europe, but maybe they have a distributor over there.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/index.php?cPath=1

The Maximum series is smaller case head diameter IIRC.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
The Bertram cases just need shortened to make the 50ak. The starline cases are much thicker and will last many more firings. The bertram cases will work as long as you don't load them crazy!

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I made my sample simply cutiing down a Bertram 50 - 110 case and loading it with a .510" lead bullet.This bullet was originally designed for the 500 Jeffery and weighted about 600 grains,so I shortened it a bit.The resulted bullet should weight about 350 - 400 grains

Posts: 110 | Location: Italy | Registered: 26 March 2009Reply With Quote