Find
Notify
Tools

6mm-06 Pac-Nor
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted
Finally sent my 700 Remington LA, up to Pac-Nor in Oregon today. I am having a 28" sendero countour, stainless steel match grade barrel installed. Caliber 6mm-06 standard.

Man the next three months are going to go by SLOW!!

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 PacNor SS SM barrels and all 3 are great. You will be pleased with your investment.

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry-you'll have a mighty fine rig there, I've been a 6/06 fanatic for years. It's a wonderful round to work with and to play with.

What twist did you go with?

Thx

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
It will be worth the wait. They make a very nice bbl. for the money. I have a Sendero contour on my M700SA in .260AI, but I had my gunsmith do the chambering, etc. I hope to get to work w/ it a bit next month.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Mark:

I went with a 1in10 twist, 6 groove barrel. Some of the guys had said the 7 and 8 twist "smoked" some bullets at the higher velocities. I want to use, I think 80-90 grain bullets. Whose I don't know. What works for you?

Thanx

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Mark, I am getting my custom 6mm-06 later this week. I had Kirby Allen ( fifty driver) build it for me with a krieger match stainless fluted barrel finished at 28 inches. It is a 4 groove 1 in 9 twist. I would love to get some start up loads for this caliber. Its going to be a long 3 days. Thanks Mark

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys -good morning to you.

I'll get back to you with info later tonight, gotta head to work soon.

I'll say this both of my tubes have been 10 twist, and they have both been 4 weight Schneider's. I've been extremely happy with them and the round.

Have a super day

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

if either of you would like to e-mail me your phone numbers I'd be glad to call you after 9 Mtn time some time and chat with you a bit more about this wonderful round.

dogz@montana.net

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The powders I've used are as follows

IMR 4350 for the 55's (can run them to 4400
IMR 4350 for the 70's (can run them to 4000

H4831 for the 85=3600 and 95=3350 TS's

R22 and R25 for the 95's and these will run these at 3500 to 3600. The load I settled on would run 35 comofrtably

C-Ya

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a fun cartridge. Any idea how it compares with the 240 Weatherby? How long do barrels last?

one of us
posted Hide Post
To date with the 240's and 6/284's I've been around both were close but not quite what the 6/06 is.

My first tube went 1700 rounds b4 it started to tear up bullets, it went fast at that point and I couldn't hardly get many to go downstream at the end.

I've been around 6, 6/06 tubes now, all have been quite accurate and all incredibly adept at killing.

I do love the round.

I have a tenedency to use Rem nickle brass, mainly because I've a couple of friends who use 25's and this makes it a bit mroe helpful from the safety standpoint. (if that makes any sense to you)

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

posted Hide Post
I am using a 30 inch Lilja 3 groove 8 twist barrel.Shooting 107 Sierras over 57 gr of H1000 with Fed 215 primers gives me 3433 fps and best accuracy.I can take them up to 3550 fps before pressure shows up but best accuracy is at the lower velocity.Lynn

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lynn,

First off welcome to Accurate Reloading.

I am a little surprised with the data you list.

I am using the same barrel you discribed on my 6mm-284. I use the same bullet but use Rl-22. My top loads that just started showing pressure signs topped out at an even 3600 fps. This was a full tilt max load but accuracy was top notch, in fact I have shot several 1/5 moa groups at 500 yards with this load.

I decided to reduce the load down to 3500 fps simply to save on the barrel life and I still get very good accuracy.

I would have expected the 6mm-06 to produce slightly higher velocity then the 6mm-284 because of its larger case capacity.

Have you tried any of the faster burning powders for such a round like Rl-22 and such?

Just curious about your load testing. Also, what are the throat dimensions on your chamber?

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Guys:

I talked with Penny at Pac-Nor today. They received my action yesterday.

You can be sure I will be asking all of you about your loads and bullets in the near future. Thanks for all the great replies.

Jerry

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
farmboy9:

Sorry it took a while for me to get back to you. Been on vaction.
I did consider the 6mmAI, but after serious consideration, I didn't feel there was enough of an advantage over the standard case. I thought cases and dies and all that, would be easier with the 17'30" shoulder. I have a bunch of other calibers I have built on the 06 case and they are all standard shoulders. That said the AI case is sexy and if that floats your boat, go for it.

My next project is going to be a 257 Roberts AI on a 98 Mauser action.

Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Farmboy9,

THe 6mm-06 AI is a great round but it has a few problems that the standard 6mm-06 does not have.

First off, if one of my customers wants me to build them a rifle in a round that uses a small bore, sub 25 caliber and they will be using this rifle for hunting as a repeating rifle such as big game or predator calling, I will recommend going with the standard round over the AI simply because of the better feeding characteristics of the standard case.

Any time an AI design is used on a round with a caliber of 257 or smaller, it can tend to really snag up on the shoulder. It seems rounds using calibers larger then 257 do not seem to have this problem nearly as much such as the 6.5-06 AI or the 280 AI. There just isn't as much shoulder hanging out there to snag up on the feed ramp.

Another problem is that the 6mm-06 is already far more case then needed for the 6mm bore. It has a significantly larger case capacity then the 240 Wby as is. Increasing this large case to the AI configuration will increase the problems associated with large cases and small bores.

Not to mention that the standard 6mm-06 is more case then most heavy match bullets can handle if your using it for a long range shooting rifle.

Of course with Ballistic Tips, there is nothing to worry about as far as velocity goes!

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark,
You mentioned reloader 25 in your thread. I also have a 6/06 and would like to start using this powder, but am having trouble finding loads. I did contact Allient, but thay have not gotten back to me, yet. 70 to 100 grain bullets is what I am looking for.

Thanks jimjam

posted Hide Post
Well guys, I've been a 6-06 fan for almost 20 yrs. Mine is used mostly for antelope and deer, so has a sporter wt. Shilen bbl @ 26", 10 twist. Bullets have been 95 Noslers or 100 Horn Interlock. Until RL 25 came along, I used H-1000 or 7828, interchangeably, for velocities around 3300. With RL 25, I now get just under 3400. The best part is: ES is very low, usually less than 20 and sometimes single digit. SD is always in the single digits. OUTSTANDING STUFF, that RL25. Jim

Posts: 127 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim-I lived in G Falls for 15 years, how long have you lived there and what do you do for work?

Perhaps I know you, I was working for Pizza Hut when I lived there and oversaw a few stores in the Golden Triangle.

Thx

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put together a 6mm-06 for Hvyw8t here a month or so ago. He just sent me a target from his last range test using the 105 gr A-Max with RL-25.

The target he sent me showed with the velocities showed this combo was able to get velocities to just shy of 3600 fps with groups in the 5's and 6's.

Anyone shooting VLD bullets knows this will look extremely good at extreme range.

Perhaps he will post his data and results of his testing.

Good SHooting!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
50driver-how long you been smithing in the G Falls area? And what is your real name?

Thx

Dogz

ps-I've got as much 6/06 experience as any out there and 3600 with a 105 is really hauling buns, he either has a extremely long tube or he has one of the fastest 6 tubes out there or he is pushing the pressure curve in a manner that may not be healthy.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sierra #5 shows a maximum velocity out of a 6.5-06 twisted 1-8 and 26" long with the 100 gr bullet of 3150 fps! That's a 6.5 bore and not a smaller 6mm!

They load a 26" tubed 240 Weatherby up to 3300 fps with a 100 gr bullet with just one powder.

Compare it to the 257 Weatherby also.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I have had my shop open about 2 years no sice I got finished with all my training. Still wet behind the ears if you will but very well versed in the methods of making extreme accuracy rifles.

My real name and my business inforamtion is:

Kirby Allen

Allen Precision Shooting
#99 Stevenson Rd.
Fort Shaw, MT 59443

kballen@3rivers.net

(Shameless plug for the shop)

I would agree that 3600 fps is smoking with the 105 gr A-Max. I actually find it hard to believe these bullets are surviving the launch but they seem to be.

We used a Kreiger 4 groove with a 1-9" twist and a finish length of 28.75".

I have a 30" 6mm-284 with a 3 groove 1-8 Lilja barrel and it will tear the A-Max bullets apart at anything over 3300 fps. I have to use the 107 gr Sierra's and was loading them to and honest 3600 fps using coated bullets and Rl-22.

Since that time I have toned back to 3500 fps to save on teh fine barrel which has produced enough 1/5 moa groups at 500 yards to almost make me leary of saying so for fear that many will think I'm exaggerating things.

That said, he is getting high 3500 fps velocities but I will admit that he has not done extensive testing to see what case life will be at this level.

The 6mm-06 has a greater case capacity then my 6mm-284 so it really did not shock me to hear of these velocities but I would imagine he is about topped out where he is.

I wish my 6mm-284 would shoot the 105's tht well, they would be a much better game bullet, especially varmint bullet at extreme range.

Good Shooting!!!