New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 6mm-222 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Muzza, it's also called the 6X47; fun little cartridge, I used to have one built on a 700. I think I'll build another for my son on a smaller action, maybe one of the little Sakos. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Myra's Sports Store in Broken Hill used to sell Sako rifles in 6x43 (6mm.222Rem). I've also got a 17/222Rimmed on a Martini Cadet action. You won't get the high velocity loads of a bolt action but with a 6mm x 55gn Nosler projectile, you should have an effective little hunting rifle.

For such a project, would a 6x50R be more effective? Dies are available from CH ($us69) and RWS make cases.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muzza,
I built one in 1975...I had a .222 rem. and sent it to P.O. Ackley in Salt Lake City and he actually rebored the barrel to 6mm with a 14" twist, helped me with the dies and made some suggestions for powder etc....I used it for several years and eventually rebarreled it to .223 Ackley. I found Ball C2 powder to work the best with the 60 gr. Sierra H. P. bullet which was about the lightest bullet available at the time...It was a very accurate little cartridge and I may still have the dies around here somewhere.....If I had it to do over again, I would go with the .223 Ackley or maybe the 6mm BR...I have 3 custom rifles in each of those two calibers now and I think they are very hard to beat, all things considered....If I can help in any way, give me a holler...
George

Posts: 142 | Location: Jaccksonville, N. C. | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
muzza! The wildcat dummies are on the boat. They said it can take up to 3 weeks. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote