New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 WSM?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been planning to build/rebarrel a 6.5/06, I now have the opportunity to buy a Model 70 pushfeed in 300WSM very cheaply.

So, does anyone have any thoughts on a 6.5 WSM wildcat?

Thanks in advance...

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I find that interesting too. There's a possibility that a factory loading for it may come out. There's always talk of new calibers. There will be a 25 WSSM and there was spectulation of a 338. I'd like to see the 6.5 WSM!

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My buddy Brett and I are having two mirror-image (I'm a lefty, he's a righty) Rem 700 6.5WSM/.338WSM switch-barreled rifles built up. (Been about a year...slow gunsmith. ) Have done load development on a .338WSM that went to a well-known gunwriter. Haven't had a chance to work on the 6.5WSM, but the smith "promised" me the rifle by Christmas. Will then post loads.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aside from my likes of .30 Cal, I have a soft spot in my heart for 6.5.

I had a short action Model 70 Classic in .260 Remington rechambered to 6.5 WSM and I love it. My rifle has a Hart #4 contour barrel and shoots sub .5 MOA. I have yet to chronograph any loads from it, though. My barrel is a one in eight twist which may be a bit fast.

Do a search on the forum and you will get some additional information.

Best of luck.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't call that too fast, but I would certainly give a go with the longer bullets, either heavies or VLD's. If it were mine, I'd spend the money to have it throated to handle a good-sized bullet set out to as long as the mag azine would handle, then go with 160's for hunting purposes.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote