New
Find
Notify
Tools

.350 Rem Mag wildcats?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Forgive my ignorance, but what wildcats have used the short .350 Rem Mag case? Does it have enough powder to push a .366 or .375 bullet?

Steve

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I haven't read much about the 350 rem mag being necked up, but no doubt it has been done. You could certainly push the larger bore bullets, just depends on how fast you want to push them.

In a .375, I'd expect that 230's could be pushed 2700 fps, and the 260 gr partition about 2500 fps. In 9.3mm, I'd think you'd be pretty much on par with the 9.3X62.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 9.3 bullet in a 350 Rem Mag case, in an -06 length action is pretty much a ballistic twin of the 9.3 X 62. I have an old Shooting Times article around here somewhere, in which they necked the 350 case uo and down to all the basic bullet diameters, including 375 and 458. Interesting ideas. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So Dan,

The neat thing about the .350 Rem Mag is that it fits in a short .308 sized action instead of a standard 06 action. Are you saying that with the bigger bullets it would no longer fit, and so the advantage of the .350 Rem Mag is to some degree lost?

I'd love to know what kind of results they came up with in the Shooting Times article if you find it.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe in the short action the .350 rem. mag is similiar to the .35 whelen but in a standard action(bullet seated out) it would be a noticeable improvement.

one of us
posted Hide Post
i think it would depend on the weight, manufacturer and style. it is actually a touch longer than a wsm case. a 284 with a belt and a magnum bolt face.
i would think a 416 would be quite fun but it would make more sense to do a wsm based wildcat for sheer volume/velocity. if your not concerned with absolute top numbers then by all means go with the 350 case.
this is just MHO and i love the 350 all by itself
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, not really. It does get you more velocity then a short action version tho', (and keep in mind that the rifle must be throated for the particular combination to make this all work). However, using a comparatively shorter 35 caliber bullet (like the 250 Speer, or any of the round nose bullets) it still works well in the short action, it will run right alongside the regular 35 Whelen in barrels of equal length. In a short barrel light weight carbine, it is a joy to carry, somewhat unpleasant to shoot, and the best woods/meadow gun you ever saw. I've used the caliber on everything we have up here (elk, bears, moose, deer, and assorted and sundry small game, gotta love those pistol bullets) and that big hole, heavy bullet just really works. It is not a long range round, but it will certainly work fine out to 300 yards, and most of us really shouldn't be shooting much past that at a game animal anyway. I know I shouldn't, so don't take it as a blanket criticism. A Rem 600/660/7 in this caliber is a great HUNTING rifle. FWIW - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many designs for the 375 bullets are quite compact for their weight, and comparable to the 358. If you select them, there is no loss in powder capacity, so you will get a 2.8% increase in velocity. With a 22 inch tube a 250 gr .375 will definitely get into 338 Win territiory...something like 2650 fps.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Afton, VA | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you have some time call Gilman-Mayfield firearms in Fresno, CA 559-221-9415. I used to frequent the shop and I know that they built a couple of 375x350rem. mag. rifles. I think that they used 600's, but maybe used XP100 (does that sound right would it fit?) They built them for a couple of guys working in Alaska that wanted a compact rig. I think they used 18" barrels. They will remember rough velocity's and such. I was thinking about having one built until I found the 375h&h for a good price.

Talk to Bob or Bill (the owners). You can tell them that Brandon Sant'Agata told you they would know. they should still remember me.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all.

I've got lots of good project ideas, but a .350 Rem Mag or .350 based wildcat in a Left-handed short action with a Mannlicher stock is the latest. The most available LH SA is the Remington, and (while I'll never admit it again later) I like Remingtons.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 350 Rem Mag case is not a good ome for a short
action. The case is so long that bullets must be seated
too deep into the powder room. The 300 SAUM case holds
more powder and, with a .358 ca. 250 gr woodleigh seated to
2.8"COL it does not even come to the bottom of the neck.
I am trying to find someone to rebore a new 300 SAUM
barrel to .358. The case length is the same as the 308
win. It would be an easy conv. I have a Model Seven in 300
SAUM. A real neat little package. I had it bedded and
a Kickease pad installed by Ron Pritchard. also replaced the 9lb plus trigger with a Shilen Made it a little
sweatheart to handle. I let my nephew Mike shoot it
and almost didm't get it back.
A "35" in a model seven is another of my dreams.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 416 Express (slightly improved 350 )in a "long" short action ( Win stainless classic ) will do 2450 fps with 300 gr jacketed and 2400 fps with RCBS 350 gr cast bullets. I would bet there would be a 100 to 150 fps loss in a Model 7 action. Still, it would be a VERY powerful and fun little rifle !!

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i don't know about necking up but i have built a mod 7 first in a 7mm and later a 30 cal using the 350 mag case.i did this when the mod 7 was first introduced with the intent of having a strong short action carry gun.at that time,the 350 was the largest case you could put in a short action,to my knowledge anyway.i would agree with a post above,it has slightly more case capacity than the 06 or 284.i could shoot a 150 gr over 3100 with a 22" barrel.i'm currently in the process of making it a 6wssm.

Posts: 42 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skl I found that article, if you would like me to scan it and email it to you, send me a PM with your email address. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
skl1,

John Barsness and Charlie Sisk have been working on a wildcat that is the 350 Rem Mag case necked up to 9.3 mm. They call it something like the 9.3 BS IIRC. I'm sure Charlie could give you some info and he should have a reamer.

HogWild

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For loading reference, check any wildcats on the 284 case or beginning loads on the '06 case (same capacities), then allow for deep seating the bullet. If starting with a standard boltface, you might think of using the 284 case.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote