New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270-284 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone out there ever used and loaded for this wildcat?

Posts: 92 | Location: Tracy, CA | Registered: 15 March 2003Reply With Quote
<1_pointer>
posted
This site has some load info on the Reloading Pages.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
My question is why??? the 284 is only 7 thousands different, thats 3.5 per side thats not enough to make a hill of beans, it would change nothing except you couldn't get the heavier bullets in the 270...you can in a 284...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm bullets are also available in very accurate target types for practice. I personally think the parent round is light years ahead of the wildcat, in addition to being a factory round.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the 270 WSM I don't see a 270-284 getting much support.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Start with beginning 270 Win loads (NOT 270 WSM!) and go from there. As for the rest of us not seeing the point, who cares? Half the fun of wildcatting is having something different from Billy-Joe-Bob and his 30-06/270/7mm Mag remchester. Go for it and enjoy. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan! To those who ask "Why", I reply "Why Not". I'm in this for the enjoyment of trying something new and different, not to be practical. If most folks were practical, everyone would own a .22LR, .30-06 and a 12 guage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes! Of course.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
<kailua custom>
posted
Dear JK- I did a few years ogo for guys in Hawaii that wanted "something different" and they shot darn good. Start with standard 270 Win loads and work up. I think I even have a spare set of dies for the cartridge. I agree with Dan as why not?

Aloha, Mark[in Or]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not?

Because the 277 in the 284 case changes nothing!!!! your talking 7 thousands divided by 2 which equals 3.5 on each side of the bullet divided by 2 again for 4 sides and thats cuts that in half again...

For all practical purposes a 270 is a 7 mm, so your spending a lot of money and gaining nothing in either direction, an exercise in futility, akin to rebarreling a 280 Rem to a 270.... however I respect your right to do so, and if it pleases you then by all means have at it.......and the above is just my personal opinnion...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess my question Ray is where in the original post did you see this fella asking why or why not?

I don't see it.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Ray,

You are forgetting Pi* Radius Squared. [Wink]