New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-284 vs 22-243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wanting know what everybody thinks about these two. This gun will be mainly used for coyotes.

Posts: 664 | Location: TX/KS | Registered: 06 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a small thread on the small bore about the super hot 22's. I have a shooting buddy with a Valkryie 22-284. Its hot, thats for sure, and he only uses it for really long shots on pdogs...his concesus is next time around, he'll just have a 22-250 reamed with a longer throat for the 80gr VLD bullets and get pretty similar results with longer case/barrel life.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think the 22-250,220 swift, uses too much powder[almost] already. any more and you will need a 40" bbl to get the advantage of all that powder.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most popular "coyote build" I do is the 22/243 Middlested. About 50-50 on the twist rate of 50-60gr Vs 70-80gr.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If going with such a big case, I think it would make more sense to use the 70 and 80 gr bullets. On the lighter side, don't see a lot of gain over other fast 22's for the potential short barrel life

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if it's a Valkyrie, it's my copy for Precision Shooting many moons ago. I specified a 1:8" twist solely for the 80gr JLK/Berger bullets and long distance.

The idea was to replace the 6mm as a caliber for long range on Rockchucks.

Rich
Buffalo Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
if it's a Valkyrie, it's my copy for Precision Shooting many moons ago. I specified a 1:8" twist solely for the 80gr JLK/Berger bullets and long distance.

The idea was to replace the 6mm as a caliber for long range on Rockchucks.

Rich
Buffalo Killer

i recall reading that one, Rich!!

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Milehighshooter;
When it come to the bullet weight the time of flight for a 50-55 gr bullets keeps thing real equal to 350 yards. Beyond that the big bullets "take over". Many of the shooters prefer the light bullets due to less recoil and the dead on zero to 300 trajectory.With 50-55 gr bullets a 26" barrel will produce plenty of velocity. The 70gr and up barrels do show some velocity benifits of the 28-30" barrels. So it does depend on how you use the rifle. Do the ballistics on a 75gr Amax or an 80gr Sierra to 1000 yards at 3600 fps and the mid point elevation is about as flat as it gets and the lack of recoil compared to the larger cartridges makes the big 22's ideal for long range varmint work just as Rich was talking about.

www.duanesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a 22-284 and to get the velocity with the 80grain bullets, they vaporized the bullets. It shot great at lower velocities, but that defeated the purpose. I am using the 22X47L now. A much better combination and the barrel will last over 400 rounds.
Butch

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I am going to lunch with my buddy tomorrow, I will ask him about it more in detail. I will see if he can send me a pic to post to see if its like yours. IIRC its SS with a loooong barrel and I want to say a green stock?

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
What real advantage does it have over a hot 6mm cartridge? 87 grain V-Max has a BC of .4 and 95 SMK's shoot dead on with a .5 BC in my gun.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Found out from my buddy the article is what gave him the push towards this rifle!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MileHighShooter,

tell him thanks, I am flattered.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I still end up making 3-5 each year [22-284]They are usually accurate and FAST! Barrel life is short if you rapid fire but watching the "Black Mirage" is impressive!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote