New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Whisper
 Login/Join

posted
G;day
I recently had a barrel chambered in 338 whisper. It is 1:10 twist. Is this going to be ok to stabilise a 250 grn Lapua BT @ 500 meters & topple Rams? Can anyone send me reloading info?
regards
leadlauncher

Posts: 4 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an action in for re-barreling at SSK. I think it is getting a 1-8 twist barrel. Message me in a month and I will give you any data I develop or get from the gunsmith.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

G;day
I recently had a barrel chambered in 338 whisper. It is 1:10 twist. Is this going to be ok to stabilise a 250 grn Lapua BT @ 500 meters & topple Rams? Can anyone send me reloading info?
regards
leadlauncher

One of your compatriots has one and is using a far faster twist. We have a similar round called the 338 Spectre and when using the 1 in 7 twist barrel from PacNor are able to stabilize 160 through 250 grains, the latter at subsonic velocity. The 300 gr Sierra HPBTMK was not stable at that twist and would require 1 in 6 or 1 in 6.5 ... Your fellow Aussie is finding that this twist is giving the desired results. The 1 in 10 may not be fast enough, the 1 in 8 would likely work for all but the 300s ....

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote