New
Find
Notify
Tools

510 Rogue " ELE"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

This project started some time ago when a Smith called me and told me he was building a 510 caliber off of a 460 Weatherby Improved case. He wanted input and the first thing I said is that I was going to put it into one of my handguns. I thought he was going to die laughing. Some time later we concluded our discussion. The next day he called me back and asked me how serious I was about the 510 in a handgun. As serious as your calling me back Scott! I called a number of friends using and making brakes. All thought I was crazy and each said the Barrett 50BMG Arrowhead brake was the best at reducing recoil.
I was in the process of building a solid core stock at the time and sent it along with the brake and action to my friend for assembly when the barrel was done.

AT this point my wife Lisa became concerned about my safety and not so effectionately named the beast ELE which stands for extinction level event! SHe as I did not know which end of the gun was going to kill the best. As it turned out she was very pleasantly surprised when the gun only had one inch of recoil! The back blast was horrible though so I had to design a brake that would shear off that hideous blast. I would compare the back blast to sticking ones head out the window of their vehicle while driving 45 MPH down the road. I literally had to wear plugs and clam shell protection and hope I did not forget to keep my mouth closed.

It has been a hoot to shoot and now bears a brake that tames the recoil and I do not get a headache after three shots.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...nVD4&feature=channel

Neal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's pretty cool! Do you know what sort of velocity you're getting? Any more pictures or details on the gun and cartridge? Thanks for sharing.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
would love to hear weight, barrel length, load date, chronoed results, etc ... one of the complaints with 50 pistols is a dramatic loss in vels

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What kind of holster do you use for concealed carry?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ElE has a new look today. I changed the load as well, so was shooting 121 grains of Rel 17 and the 450 grain GS borerider type bullet. Velocities dropped noticeably with the slower burning powder. I wanted to check out Reloader 17 with the lighter bullet before I loaded the 650 grain bullets. Average velocity was 2230 which is where I was shooting the 650 grain bullets using 3031. If I were to do it over again I would have opted for a 19" barrel.

As soon as the little lady returns and downloads the video we can all watch ELE sing her awesome song. I will say that the muscle brake is not as good as the Barrett for recoil reduction. But I can comfortably shoot all day long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kkpt6vdIH0A

That is a 4-16 HorusVision rifle scope on top of the Savage Target Action so the recoil was pretty much managemable. The gun weighs 14 pounds even as pictured.

Holster: I just sling it like the rest of my handguns unless I am going further than from the truck to the bench. Then I use a wheel barrow!

Neal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, that thing weighs 3.5lbs more than my 550 Gibbs. Ever consider moving up to real big bore? I have the reamers available.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like humor- good one Sharpshooter.

The idea came about because of a foreigner advertising on the web that he had created the worlds most powerful handgun when he chambered a 600 Nitro in a 14 pound cylinder gun. I new that Roy Weatherby dethroned the 600 Nitro back in 58 when he introduced the 460 Weatherby. SO it was logical to boost up the case diameter so that I could shoot very heavy bullets if needed.

SO I thought American all the way. Savage Action, American designed case with an American barrel maker. Put together by a true red blooded American! OH and I only have $800. invested and had all but the barrel on hand. Well that is almost Accurate. Those Weatherby cases if I would have had to purchase them are literally gold. I was given a couple of boxes.

This setup will shoot the 650 grain bullet at over 2000fps from the 17" barrel.

Neal