Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x39 Improved?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mad_jack02
posted
Has anybody seen or herd of doing an ackley version on the 7.62x39? or have a reamer for it?

Extreme Custom Gunsmithing LLC, ecg@wheatstate.com

Posts: 487 | Location: Wichita, ks. | Registered: 28 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a barrel in one for my competitor pistol. I played with it quite a bit, picked up a little velocity of course from the standard version with the same 16" barrel. Enough to be worth while? I dunno..... but sure is a neat looking case!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a search on BR.com. They call it a 30PPC. Shoots very well, but is finicky. The ones that play with it have gone to the longer version. I believe that is thew 6.8 brass.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did not have much luck checking BR.com- Brazil website,I think. I have a Ruger M77 in 7.62x39 that I have thought of making into a AI but have been unable to find any info. I assume a potential problem is all the steel cased surplus ammo around which I assume would not fireform readily. If any one has info, please contact me. Thanks.

Posts: 69 | Location: Canada | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hiredgun,
You need to check further. Below is a link to a lot of info on it.
http://benchrest.com/forums/se...php?searchid=2790453
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a steel case sitting beside me I fireformed. I'd send it to you if anyone knows if I can do it and not send both of us to jail.
I also have a ruger 77 in the standard 7.62x39. It's such a nifty little rig I dont think I'd bother imp it, with die cost ect involved.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I have a steel case sitting beside me I fireformed. I'd send it to you if anyone knows if I can do it and not send both of us to jail.

Have mailed cases to many countries and even declared them as such. Haven't had any knocks on my door yet. coffeeroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wouldn't that be pretty much the 300 black out cartridge?

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not even close.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a reamer and headspace gage for a 30 Turbo Imp. Believe it is a further development of the 6mm turbo. Don't think you could get more out of the x39/Grendel case than this. Haven't got around to chambering a barrel for it but have a mini Mauser waiting

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
.311 PPC

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some, but not all 7.62X39 barrels are .311. Some are .308. Years ago on my 7.62X39 Mini mauser I first chambered it 270X39AI. It was an excellent young person's deer rifle. Very accurate and will pile up a deer. It is now a 220 Russian. The 220 Russian is the Lapua brass that we make the 6mm ppc out of. In the old days when 220 brass was hard to get I necked down 7.62X39 brass and fireformed it to 6mmppc.
If you really want a 7.62X39AI, I would buy 220 russuian brass and fire form it with a case full of Bullseye and no bullet or COW. Seal the case neck with candle wax and fire. It is a very accurate cartridge. You are looking at 2900 fps with a 125 grain bullet. Probably more info on the accurateshooter.com forum.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedButch are you sure of 2900 fps?? beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
ConfusedButch are you sure of 2900 fps?? beer roger

I'm sorry, 2900 with 112BR bullets. 2900+ in the 30BR.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Did anyone else notice this thread continues through a gap of nearly seven years?

bartsche posted 17 January 2010 then the next comment is posted 09 November 2016 and the conversation is still between the same people and it doesn't miss a beat! animal

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never did an improved version, but back in 2001 I made an AR-15 barrel in 338x39 for subsonic suppressed use.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote