New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tribute Wildcat Advice Request
 Login/Join

posted
Greetings all,

Please bear with my short story, as I set the stage for my request.

Back in the 40's and 50's, my father worked at the naval gun factory, during the war, and later at the naval research laboratory. He was a instrument maker grade machinist, and surrounded with such an occupation, became quite involved in sporting military rifles. I have a 270 Win based on a mauser 98 with the swastica on the barrel, a 257 roberts, origins unknown, etc.

During this time, he also got quite involved in wildcat loads for his varmiting in Maryland back in the day.

A few weeks ago, I was visiting with him, now 91 years old, and told him of my latest interest in handloading for my rifles. Next thing I know, I am in his shop and he is bringing out unopened wooden boxes from 50 years ago with his tools and supplies. I have since become the owner of all of this, with the request I do 'something' with it.!
In the boxes I found chamber reamers, hand made die sets, go-nogos, all kinds of things. One of the items that really got him talking was his 220 Pappy, as he called it. A wildcat based on the 220 swift. .224 cal with a case about 1.75" He at one time made a rifle for it, but gave it to his best friend, now deceased, and I have been unable to locate the gun. So to the question,

Having the reamers, dies, and a good start on formed brass, I would like to look into making a gun that will chamber and fire this load.
I really do not have the resources to take on a whole rifle project, but thought this round would lend itself well to a contender pistol, or single shot rifle.

How would I go about starting such a project? Are there barrel makers that I could get a 22 cal barrel, ready for reaming? Are there other major considerations I should be aware of other than the start slow and work up on the loads?? This is a project I would like to be able to complete by next spring...my time with Dad is running low you know.

So any advise for this 'Tribute' gun??

Thanks in advance,

J Darr

One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Good to hear that you will honor your old man!

I would buy a used Rem 700 in .22-250, set the barell back 1/2" and ream the new chamber.

Should work with no other changes.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
How about one of the Stevens (200?) short action rifles? They are the Savage action with the old trigger and put together with a synthetic stock. New price is around $280ish. You can get a wrench for the savage barrel nut. Get a barrel in 223, case length 1.76", so you won't have to set it back. Then ream the barrel. Setting headspace on the savage would be much easier. Screw the barrel most of the way in, insert the go gauge, turn the barrel in until it hits the go gauge, tighten the lock nut.
The 220 swift rim is .473" so the savage bolt face for a 7mm-08 or similar would fit without any modifications.
You can also get complete savage bolts for different bolt faces or just change the bolt head.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80707415
Here is a complete gun in 223. then all you would have to do is get a replacement bolt head.

Savage guns are know for being very accurate and have an adjustable trigger also.

It may need a different magazine box for the fatter case?? Anybody know about that part?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks all,

I have an idea of the direction. Once I go down the path, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Regards,

Jorge