New
Find
Notify
Tools

429 - 458 x 2.15"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Go to doodling ... Take the 458 Win Mag, it is .513 ahead of the belt.

Neck it to .429 bullet size (like the 444 Marlin).

Shorten the case to 2.15" to get COL of 2.500 (the Marlin in 2.25" case with 2.57" COL, I just wanted 2.500 don't ask why)

Program suggests 10 grain improvement in capacity over the 444 Marlin, same loaded length. But now with a belt instead of a rim ...

So use 8x68 brass instead, make it rimless, same rim size as the Marlin, same length, should work from same rifle?

Why? I dunno ... just something to try ... for whatever reason ...

QL suggests I can push a 225 gr X bullet at more than 2600 fps from a 20" bbl ...

Or the 300 gr Swift A frame at close to 2300 fps from a 16" bbl ...

Posts: 327 | Location: Texas | Registered: 22 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 45LCshooter
posted Hide Post
The 8x68 would allow for a change with only the chamber being reamed: no bolt mod. Is the 8x68 the same parent case as the 6.5x68 Schuler? That was what I came up with when I saw a bulge in the brass in my 45 Colt Winchester Trapper and the thought of getting a reamer crossed my mind (the 11x33 Schuler?). It does make more sense with the .444, I think you realize a greater increase. In my Trapper, I think I will just put up with the bulging brass.

There have been complaints about lightweight bullets in the .444, this could only increase with the added velocity; but the heavies should really shine.

The 8x68 case would make a heck of a 38-40 too.

In case this sounds silly to some, it is funny how tube magazines change the concerns over cartridge dimensions: length is all that matters. Why waste space with rimmed cases if you can shoot rimmless bottle-necks and have them feed well. In that sense, the belt may as well be the same as the rim. With the rimmless bottle-neck, you can enjoy an increase of case capacity without sacrificing magazine capacity...I don't see where feeding would be a problem either.

Posts: 381 | Location: Kiowa, AL | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

Have you seen what John Noveske has done with the 300WSM case. He has developed a short 458 (and you can get factory dies for it) that gets 2600 with a 300 slug. This number is from my memory bank so hopefully it's correct. Too much gray hair and not enough gray matter.HI
These velocities are out of a 161/4" barrel by the way. A real slammer at both ends. Looking forward to his loading and shooting the 500 grainers.

You can research his posts at this site as well as at the Shortmags Forum.

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote