Find
Notify
Tools

Big Bore Wildcating??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
ConfusedThere is no critisism intended. This is strictly a search for understanding On my part. With respect to this forum what is the allure for big bore wildcats.I've given birth to a couple and find no real rationalization for doing so except to say I done it. Eeker

Anybody out there have any better reasons? bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Just personal satisfaction. To have something that would screw up my hunt if I forgot or lost my ammo. Mainly just to have something out of the ordinary. A 416 Rem will kill as will the 458 Lott. coffee

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I suppose the AR series does give you larger cartridge capability in a shorter action than H&H length, that's a nice selling point.

Otherwise ... just for giggles and experience. I mean why would anyone in the States need for more than a 30/06?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is the beauty of the whole thing! I was sitting in the shop staring at a perfectly new [useless] Remington Guide Rifle in cal 300 W\SAUM,brand new that was for sale. My little Nam buddy looks at it and says "Too bad it`s not in something neat!" Guess what? Now its a 458X2 1/4. Some people say why--- I say why not! Because, like Everest---It was there!
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
I really like the idea of making use of new powders and bullets to get old performance in a smaller case.
That I, with my .425 Fossdal, will get 2150 with a 400grs pill from a regular M98 with 5+1 is pure satisfaction.

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger

stir stir

My therapist says that men who play with big things actually use them as phallic symbols to compensate for their own physical shortcomings. That's why all my wildcats are .17 and .22 caliber. Roll Eyes Wink

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of olcrip
posted Hide Post
Cheechako,
What does your theripist shoot? Maybe he should be hung but isn't! Does he shoot a pee shooter or a mighty 500 el-kabong? "Is that fact or brag" (Walter Brennan.) Inquiring minds want to know. bewildered

Just feeding the trolls! donttroll

Olcrip,
Nuclear Grade UBC Ret.
NRA Life Member, December 2009

Politicians should wear Nascar Driver's jump suites so we can tell who their corporate sponsers are!

Posts: 1800 | Location: River City, USA. East of the Mississippi | Registered: 10 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i like solving problems and fixing things...
and I like shooting big bores

... the rest is jsut time and money

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wildcat for your own satisfaction OR to fill a need (real or imagined) that you think needs filling. The cat I'm working on for instance, gives moderate performance in a cheaply made rifle, with low cost components, and basically replicates the old 404 Jefferey ballistics. The key to this cat, is cost, its much cheaper to build it then buying any commercially available or custom made 404 J. The other cat I have wanted to play with, gives near 470 NE performance, from a short action, because I'll never be able to afford a double rifle.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
bartsche

You pose a good question. All have given good answers too. For myself I find it extreme satisfaction in creating something and then taking it to the field to test. Especially if I happen to have come across something that is rather unique and has not been done before, which I think I have a couple of those.

I had a couple of reasons for creating the B&M series cartridges. First I have a buddy that instigated things to begin with--thus the "B". I won't go into details there. Second I wanted a shorter handier, lighter, faster big bore for many reasons. My B&M series cartridges do something other big bores do not do, and that is they fit, function, and work in small handy packages, or platforms. To get the concept of the B&M series you have to look at the package and the cartridge together. For instance the normal 50 B&M--.500 caliber (not .510) is built on a Winchester WSM action-18 inch barrel-overall 38 inches-weight 7-8 lbs depending on stock. It can run 510 gr bullets at 2100 fps. The 458 B&M is on the same package or platform, and runs 500 gr bullets at 2150 fps, same as a 458 Winchester, only it is 6-7 inches shorter-and 2 lbs or more lighter! Which makes handling much faster and easier.

A couple of years ago I got into a tussle with a hippo that tried to bite me. At the time carrying a Win M70 458 Lott-24 inch barrel. I solved the issue without a problem, but the entire episode sent me in search of something that would handle faster, point faster, be a pleasure to carry, shorter and lighter. This is what the B&M series does for me-it gives me an entire package to go to the field with that will sort out any job I ask of it. And they have done so over the last couple of years.

My motives were personal, I wanted a package that could deliver when I needed it, that would be fast and precise on target, but would not be a burden to bear. I also happen to have come to the realization that they have made very fine "fighting" rifles for what I would ask of them.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MoreBS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bohica:
That is the beauty of the whole thing! I was sitting in the shop staring at a perfectly new [useless] Remington Guide Rifle in cal 300 W\SAUM,brand new that was for sale. My little Nam buddy looks at it and says "Too bad it`s not in something neat!" Guess what? Now its a 458X2 1/4. Some people say why--- I say why not! Because, like Everest---It was there!
Aloha, Mark

A friend had two 458x2s..................he always wished they were 2.1/4 so he could get more 4198 in them.

Get Close and Wack'em Hard

one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
450 G&A...404J necked up and shortend to 2.5"...500gr Hornady's at 2200 - 2400fps from a 21" Kreiger barrel. Gonna try some 400gr Swifts and North Forks this spring.

Why you ask??..To have something different i guess Wink

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
beerThanks for shareing, guys thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
So Roger -

Tell us the difference bout making cats in large bore versus small bore?

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bent Fossdal:
So Roger -

Tell us the difference bout making cats in large bore versus small bore?

Just the mood you're in that day! nillyroger

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Bent

Your question about small bore cats vs big bore cats hits hard with me!

I have a very hard time working up any interest at all in anything under 338 caliber. 338-358-366 I start to get a bit interested, however it can't hold my interest too long. Start going over 40 really intrigues me and can hold my interest for a long time.

I play around with some small bores-like the 6.5 WSM and the 264 WSSM-but once I get a few loads that work well my data comes to a stop! I have been having some issues with a 264 WSSM and pressures--about 6 months ago I hooked up the strain gages to do some test work, but just have not got around to it yet? Boring to me.

Most of my cats start at 338 and go up. Currently playing with some 9.3s that are interesting--but the passion starts at 40 and goes up from there.

Michael

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Michael
I did the 257 JLS in 2000 .. in fact, the reamer print was set the day winchester released the drawing .. there was some tension there, on the 300 wsm, as I wanted a no ream neck, and wanted to just neck down the 300 wsm. as it turned out, it was far easier to do 270 wsm brass ...

far beat the 257rob, the 25-06, and only because I can't stand to load to flattened primters (factory wsm/rum fired primers SCARE me) is the only reason i didn't entirely match the 257 weatherby...

nil recoil, pacnor barrel, amazingly accurate...

pulled the barrel, sold the stock, put my 416 AR on it, ... oh, yeah, a highly reworked "national ord" 1903a3, action

It was just boring.. didn't do ANYTHING that I hadn't done with the 25'06

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38464 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Jeffe

In the 6.5 WSM I did I also use the 270 WSM brass to go down. I can do the 300 WSM--but size to 270 first--then to 6.5. I have not had issues with thick necks to 6.5. 257 might be another story. As for 25--I have a nice Super Grade 25/06 that shoots great--but the damn thing weighs in at 9 lbs! I have a couple of 25 WSSMs--FW and Ultimate Stainless. I love the Ultimate because it weighs in at 6.5 lbs and has 22 inch barrel. Great to carry-about 100 fps less than 25/06. I took it to Mongolia a couple years ago and carried it up one mt-down another, and up again with no issues.

I started cleaning up some of the small bore test work the other day--just to get it out of the way, put those rifles on "inactive duty" take scopes off-put them on something else that might peak my interest.

Right now I am sorta on a 9.3 kick---just finished playing with a 9.3X338 Win--getting ready to start a 9.3 Ultra--I think we have ordered reamer for 9.3 B&M.

Sent #1 500 MDM to Accurate Innovations for new myrtle stock--busted the other stock twice now. Have a #2 500 MDM at SSK now already has very nice AI stock in AA Claro for it to start with--it will be stainless. These I can't wait to get on!

Also should have 500 MDM brass in a couple of weeks according to Pete. Already have my lots of 50 B&M--458 B&M-and 416 B&M--this is very very good brass-fire forming some 416 B&M today.

Also took 100 of the 750 50 B&M and cutting it to 1.65 for the 50 B&M Super Short---but the brass is very thick at 1.65---doing some inside case reaming to get it right. This just for me in case I take the Super Short outside US.

Only the big bores have much appeal for me!

Michael

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
...what is the allure for big bore wildcats.I've given birth to a couple and find no real rationalization for doing so except to say I done it. Eeker

Anybody out there have any better reasons? bewilderedroger

I've always been fascinated by the 50 BMG, but the cost is just too exorbitant for something so impractical. My solution was to partially achieve the BMG experience at a fraction of the cost:

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../6521043/m/472101969

One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
Hi jpl

How are things with your 51 WSM???? You won't believe what I received today from SSK. It might be right up your alley! Some nice 51 caliber bullets designed for sub-sonic work--they expand or break up at sub sonic velocity. Made from brass, CNC, with heavy slits cut in them to facilitate expansion or break off. JD is working with them for some other projects, I sometimes receive some samples of things they are working on. Very interesting. You know it's the bullet that does all the work! It takes a complete package!

FYI

Michael