New
Find
Notify
Tools

250/3000 AI---help with loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm gonna start working with a 250 AI next week, 100 grain bullets.

For those of you that are, or have loaded for one what did you like for powders?

We are gonna work with the 100 Horns to start with.

Any help is appreciated.

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, I just picked up a 250 AI. I am going to play with H4350 and RL15, I am figuring on maybe 8-10% increase in powder charge over max 250 Savage loads.

All theory so far, I think about 3100 for 100 and 2900 or so for 115's.

A buddy had one and a am awaiting an e-mail with his load data. I know one load he quoted me was 44grains of H4350 behind a 100grain Hornady.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thx for your info, I was kind of figuring on using some Roberts data to get me going?

3100 with a 100 seems pretty aggressive to me, but then again maybe not?

The one 257 AI I worked with would do 3200 with a 100 in a 21" tube. I think we used R22 in it but will have to check for sure.

Thx

MD

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon shows up to 3100 in the standard 250 Savage

Hodgdon

I know Sierra #5 has 250 AI data, but I don't have that manual. I think 257 Roberts data will be to hot.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Meant to ask about your rig?

Mine is on a Howa action with a Stainless # 2 Douglas 21", McMillan stock, lwt Talley's and Leupold VXII 3-9x.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks great K-what does it weigh?

MD

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Mark

Varget is my powder of choice in my 250 AI. I have shot a few groups in the ¼ with a 100 grn NBT. And 38grn of Varget. This is with molly coated bullets. This shouldn’t be too hot, according to my notes I’m not showing pressure sings till 41grn. But with molly it probably isn’t all that fast either. This is out of a 20†barrel.
I have also used H414 with good results and W760 but it kinda sucked in my rifle. I think Reloader 15 would be good also but haven’t tried it yet. I have also used 100grn Speer hot cores with H414 and Varget and shot lots of groups in the one inch range.
Also the latest Sierra manual has 250 AI loads. It would be a good start.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know that the new Sierra has the info thanks.

Have you clocked any of your loads?

MD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, right at 7 pounds without scope, so I guess 7 3/4 ready to go.

I shot some 120 flat base Speers, and 120 HPBT Sierra's the other day.

Speers with 41 grains of H4350, and the Sierra's with 40.5grains of the same powder.

Biggest group from either was 3/4" (3shots).

Tried to throw some across the screens, but it was getting too dark, and the chrono wouldn't register.

If it ever stops raining I will get some data.

A buddy sent me a BUNCH of data from his 250AI. If you want it, just send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it along.

He mostly played with RL15, H4350

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh yea, he mostly followed along with the Sierra #5.

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Mark

Sory for the delay in response. I have no idea how fast my loads are. Like I said I shoot molly and with my loads not being very close to max I would guess around 3000 fps.The thing that matters most is that I killed the bigest buck of my life with it, so who cares Big Grin. I'm not realy a speed freak I just wanted somethig different. I kinda put the gun together in case I ever drew a Dall's sheep tag but my parents just moved from Wassilla so I didn't even put in for it this year. Maybe some day though.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dobrenski:
I'm gonna start working with a 250 AI next week, 100 grain bullets.

For those of you that are, or have loaded for one what did you like for powders?

We are gonna work with the 100 Horns to start with.

Any help is appreciated.MD

H414 has worked very well for me in standard .250's with 100 grain bullets. Why not just use published .250 data and work up loads from there?

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my 250AI likes 39.6gr of RL15 with nosler bal-tips and partition in 100gr. a rule that i have used several years with my AI is " 250 savage max loads plus 10%. it works well with all bullet weights.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mark,
If you`re interested send me you email address and I can send you [hopefully] scanned pages of over 20 years with the 250/3000 AI.

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote