Notify
Tools

Re: 416 Aagaard
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted
Bob,

Steyr considered a family of cartridges based on the .376 Steyr, the largest bore diameter was a .416. One of the engineers sent me a drawing of the cartridge. They didn't go forward with their project because they felt the velocity available from the case with a 400 grain bullet would be too low for the marketeers to sell it, even if it delivered 2,150 fps from a short barrel. I suggested they think about 350 grain bullets, but they had already decided not to do it.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Consider if you haven't the WSM case.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob,
Is the Mexican a standard length action? If so, why not use the 9.3x64 case, ie 416x64. I believe it's the parent case for the Steyr. Bob

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VFR, The Mexican is an intermediate length small ring. The 376 Steyr is perfect for it. Bwana, I just don't like the way the WSM case looks. Stupid reason I know but I can't help it. I've made a deal with Zeglin above to build this 416 "Agaard" Thanks for all the input.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote