New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mashburn Super Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What are the 338,358,375 Mashburn Super Mags derived from? Does anybody have any rough ballistics for them?

Posts: 53 | Location: International Falls,MN | Registered: 11 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Quinn,

I believe they were off the .375 H&H case.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quinn, my 7mm Mashburn Super mag is on a shortened 300 H&H case or a .300 Win mag case run through a forming die and just trimmed. I think this is the version Art Mashburn called the Super mags. There are also some full length versions with the Mashburn name in different calibers. I would rather have the short version. The long versions would be very similar to the 338/8mm mag and .358STW respectively and the .375 version would be like the .375 Ackley Imp.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quinn, also the short versions would be very similar ballistically to the .338 Win mag,the .358 Norma Mag, and the .375/338 mag. Unless you just wanted something different, it is probably not worth the trouble. My 7mm Mashburn Super mag was built probably more as a tribute to Bob Hagel and Warren Page than any great ballistic difference, although it will out perform the 7mm RM and the 7mm Weatherby.

Posts: 314 | Location: Abilene,Tx. USA | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information. I was thinking of having a Ruger #1 barreld to .358 STA and was wondering how these other cartidges compared.

Posts: 53 | Location: International Falls,MN | Registered: 11 January 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
sambubba, what is the difference in case capacity between the 7mm Mashburn Super and the 7mm Rem. Mag.?
[Confused]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eldeguello, I don't know without looking up the article Hagel wrote in Rifle magazine. When both rounds were loaded where the 160g Nosler was seated to the base of the neck, there isn't a whole lot of difference. My 7mm Super will shoot a 160g Nosler 3300 fps when using W/W cases from the 300 Win mag. It is a "fast" barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I recall the article correctly, the Mashburn Supers were longer (more case capacity) then the current short (medium?) mags, 7mm Rem Mag et al, but shorter then a full length H & H case. So slightly faster then a 7mm Rem Mag or Weatherby, slightly slower then a 7 STW or RUM. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Thanks for the info. That 160 grain @ 3300 must be impressive!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at the article now in Rifle # 103. Hagel says there is 3g difference in case capacity in the Body of the case using H870. The Mashburn has a longer neck than the Remington version, and when the Remington is loaded to normal O.A.L. and the Mashburn to Hagel's seating length, then the difference becomes 20.5g in water capacity(per Hagel). He says if both cartridges are loaded with the 175g bullet seated to the base of the neck, the difference is only 50 fps with the 175g bullet only. With all other weights the Mashburn version has a larger advantage. These are not my conclusions--they are Hagel's. Visually the Mashburn is only slightly longer in the body.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 7 Mashburn Super quite a bit (I am on my 3rd tube)---I enjoy the old round. For me it's fun to use something different.

I was lucky enough to get to know Bob Hagle--he used it Page used it. Guess that's good enough for me.

By the way I have a copy of Page's One Man's Wilderness next to me--great read IMO. I also have Hagle's Game Loads And Practical Ballistics For The American Hunter next to me also--my all time favorite book.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Hagel's book Mark, also one of my favorites. - dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark & Dan, I have Hagel's other two books--Guns, Loads and Hunting Tips--and Hunting North America's Big Game--two good reads. If you like Hagel you need a copy. I also have Page's book. These are two of my hunting heroes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambubba, I have the first one you mention, but not the second. I'll have to kep an eye out for it. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sambibba-I have those books of Hagles also-Bob is one of the Good Ones..... Not like most of todays writers!

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, probably one of the great ones. He had a ton of practical experience and common sense to go along with his vast technical knowledge. Plus, he is one of the good guys who didn't act condescending with his readers. Any friend of Elmer's is a friend of mine.

posted Hide Post
What forming dies do you guys use. All I can find is rcbs. will they work with a 300 Win or 300 HH? Do you have to turn necks? Thanks-SJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
My forming dies are RCBS. You have to specify whether you are forming from H&H brass or the .300 Win mag(they are different dies). I recommend using the .300 Win mag cases. I didn't turn necks on mine, and accuracy has been very good with three different barrels.