Find
Notify
Tools

Having reloading dies made
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Guys, who do you go to for custom dies to match a custom reamer?
I have reamers in .25-35 Tomcat from Dave Kiff, and .360 NE No 2 and .375 2 1/2 NE Flanged Dave Manson and would like to order dies that would be a good match.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CH-4D.com has hundreds of dies, in stock alledgedly. You got to ask.

Any machine shop can make dies from a couple fired cases but the FFL rules get in the way in USA.

RCBS had the name way back when and they sold. The "die shop" became Huntington Die Specialties and I have not looked for them for long time.

Luck. Happy Trails.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Ch-4D before. Also, Dave Kiff or Pete at PT&G will have recommendations for custom die makers. ( I am getting them to do one now for me.) Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go with Arbor Press hand dies, the answer is pretty simple.

If you got a two reamer set (rough and finish) and go/no go gauges it is even easier.

Rough reamer is a couple thousandths smaller. Since 1978 that is how I have had dies made for my wildcats.

Finish reamer makes the seating die, and expanding die (if desired).

Neil Jones at CPS makes them off of your reamer set in 7/8ths by 14 threads or hand dies.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can contact Hornady about custom dies. Whidden Gun Works would be an excellent way to go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have used the hornady custom die shop recently. they had the shortest lead time and they actually delivered early. the dies work as i expected.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have an e-mail in to Hornady.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The custom die contact at Hornady is Ben Syring at 800-338-3220 extension 261.

FWIW, when you have your chamber reamer made, you can request a "resizer" reamer to be made at the same time. The reamer manufacturer won't need a separate print for the resizer, they will make it from the chamber reamer print.

The resizer reamer is then used to make the full length resizing die....and of course you can make a bunch of them with one reamer. Use 12L14 steel for the die, then carburize. The bullet seating die is made using the chamber reamer so you don't need another reamer for that.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
actually (from someone that does this)

fireform 3 pieces, and send to ch4d

or, have a SIZING DIE reamer made, then cut the dies.. this is actually the least drama way to go

using a rougher for a sizing die..
dancing yeah, no

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. A friend over at Levergunners says CH-4D actually offers these dies; they are just not listed. Getting hold of Dave.

– John Green, author