Find
Notify
Tools

any .14 caliber shooters out here?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted
Have been studying .14-221 Walker Fireball lately. Basically .221 Fireball cases necked down to hold .144" diameter bullets; loaded with 17.5 grain flat base jacketed hollow point bullets, kinda heavy for caliber. Looks like a 7" twist will stabilize them. Some data I have seen indicate 3900f/s. By calculation that works out to 401142rpm; now that's seriously spinning fast.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 14 cal is one of the things I am planning later on. I have fired one but but not owned one myself. It will make a good change from shooting bigbores at the range. They would be great for crows I think.

Posts: 618 | Location: Singleton ,Australia | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cruise over to saubier.com forum, and ask the same. Also do an archives search. Somebody there has to have one (or more).

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blaine Eddy (Heavy Eagle) uses a 14-221 for coyotes. He is a great guy. Shoot him an email. He will tell you anything you need to know. Jeff Lawrence (Lawrence rifle barrels) also posts over there, he builds 14s. They can help you locate dies, funnels, cleaning rods and such. I have the Eichelberger 14 cal loading manual if you need some load data. If I ever get a steal on a 77/22 Hornet a 14 squirrel or Hornet will be in the works

one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
cr500: Got the project started, some bullets ordered, action is off to see the wizard for a new barrel, and sundry other items (cleaning rod, jag, dies, powder funnel, brass, etc.).

Mulerider: Good advice, I check in at Saubier.com almost daily.

Posts: 166 | Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd rock from the sun, Milkyway Galaxy | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RareBear
posted Hide Post
You're right; Eddy, Lawrence, and Eichelberger, three good chaps. I latched on to an Eichelberger manual about a year ago. Blaine was kind enough to send 4 pages of load data this past winter, pushed me right over the edge, and then straight to Jeff Lawrence for a barrel this summer.