New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-70 siamese mauser
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just aquired a 45-70 siamese mauser. It has a step-down tapered barrel. I was wondering if anyone had any good loads for. I'm looking for something with 450-600gr. bullets.

Thanks

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Howdy..
you can use, at least, the marlin loads from any reloading book... and will probably have to work out your own loads for 600gr jackets, or, the lyman book will have them for casts...

nice find
jeffe

Posts: 38509 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jeffe,

I picked it up from a friend of mine for $500. It came with a Norinco 3-9X scope.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dan,
post a pic of it... and PLEASE start thinking of what iron sights your going to want

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

could use some help in that dept. I mostly shoot big bore revolvers. Any suggestions.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Dan,
youc an email me a pic, especially of the stock, and i'll have a suggestion.. of the top of my head, I would say nec masterpiece front and the browning "safari" rear, from http://www.jeffsoutfitters.com/store.aspx?panel=1&categoryid=67

the rear is not traditional... and VERY adjustable

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice sights, looks like they have Cape Outfitters stuff.

I would not mess with open sights. Get an old Lyman peep, or a new Williams. Remove the disk and you have a "ghost ring". This is much better than ANY barrel mounted notch in every way.

Do be sure the stock has enough drop for open sights. If it is too high you could tend to bruise your cheek. If is is stocked for a scope consiter a low power scope. Maybe the 1.5 to 4x from Leupold. Do not mess with cheap scopes.

600gr. bullets are too big for a 45-70. The 500s will give pleanty of whatever you need. I rarely shoot anything bigger than 400s. You may have problems with magazine length and powder space intrusion with the really long ones.

Sounds like a fun rig. I have a P-14 in 45-70 that I did up like a blend between an American classic and tropical rifle. It is one of my favorites. Enjoy yours.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe and Scot,

Thanks for all the help. Give me a couple of days to gert a pic and post it. I'm still learning the new camera. Plus I have to do some more testing with my wildcat.

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi all, I have I believe on of the Lee Navy conversions, It has an 18" heavy barrel and the straight stock,no pistol grip. I took it to a gunsmith in Az. and told him I wanted a ramped front site with a hood. It had the williams adjustable rear site on it. Anyway after a 3/8 tall ramp and a 1/4" insert it shot about 1 foot low at 50 yds. Back we went and a shorter ramp and insert were installed. Now it shoots great but I am looking for better sites, these just seem week. I call it my mini DG rifle.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something else on mine, looking down the barrel with the rifle on its back the heel of the stock is about an inch to the right. I am not sure if this was on purpose on not. It fits me better than any rifle I have and mounts faster than my shotgun.

Posts: 227 | Location: Bakersfield Ca. USA | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote