Notify
Tools

30-284 win?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sako
posted
Hello wildcatters:

Well im not much into wildcatting but i wanted an opinion on a idea i have...

Basically its a 284 win case necked up to 30 cal chambered in an short action M700 currently chambered in 308 win..
Would there be any significant advantage over the 308 and would the action have to be altered in some way to improve feeding etc?

I have no idea if this has been done before , probably if it makes some sense Roll Eyes

Any suggestion on wildcats more poverful than 308 sticking with 30cal bullets, short action and preferably the same bolt head is greatly appreciated!

Regards Ben

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have played with the 30-284. In a short action you move up to 30-06 velocity with bullets up to 165 grains. I decided that it didn't offer enough performance increase to be worth the cost. If you want performance in a short 30, go with a 300 SARUM or WSM. In a long action, you'd be better off with the 30-06.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
The nice thing about a .30-284 is case head size is the same as a .308 win. The case forming is pretty straight forward. Just resize .284 brass with your new .30-284 sizing die. You will get .30-06 performance from that case but nothing more. A rebarrel job with a good barrel like a shilen or douglas. Then bluing the gun. Then a set of dies. You could buy a good new .300wsm for about the same cost. Or even less if you look at savage. It really comes down to what you want to spend your money on and if you want to be a wildcat kind of guy.

WARNING: WILDCATTING MAY BE HABIT FORMING!

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesCan not see muchuse for a 30x284 in a short action.The .284 itself was kind of a nice thing in the mod. 99 Savage. It put that rifle in a whole ne class for lever guns( excluding the Mod 95 Win which was not in production at the time).

What really would have been advantageous at that time if they had made the same basic case 2.5" long. for standard actions using .470 diameter bolt faces. It would have been a wildcatters dream back then. May still be. Thought I'd share that with you. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .30-284 has been done enough that there are reamers available. You should be able to find a gunsmith who will ream your current barrel chamber for less than an entire barrel job. If you are looking for big improvements in velocity it may not be the route for you. However, if you just want a in expesive wildcat to play with.....not a bad idea.

Posts: 118 | Location: Lakeville, MN | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You might want to compare the chamber specifications for the 30-284 to those of the 7.5x55 Sweede and weigh those differences between the cost of a custon die set for the 30-284 and the off the shelf price of 7.5x55 dies.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30-284 is great. It'll do anything and more than a 30/06. I don't recall if I had to buy specail dies or not, I do know they are Redding.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the Rem. action you will be limited to the weight of bullets you can use due to length. I think the 180 gr. will have to be seated so deep that your powder capacity won't be much more than the 308. Mine is a Ruger and it's still a bit short. Mark

A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money. Gordon Liddy

Posts: 199 | Location: Sask, AZ | Registered: 18 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rws:
The 30-284 is great. It'll do anything and* "more"* than a 30/06. I don't recall if I had to buy specail dies or not, I do know they are Redding.

RWS! would you please elaborate a little more on your use of the word more. bewilderedroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
I know where a guy could buy a nice Ruger M-77 tang safety International in that caliber for about $500.00. It has been factory rebarreled. I have seen it slay a mess of deer and a few pronghorns and javelinas. Velocity is between a 30.06 and a 300 Win Mag with bullets lighter than 180. Seating depth is critical in the short actions.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that you know of a Ruger 77 RSI that was chambered in 30-284 by Ruger? If so, I'd be interested, as Ruger claims that they won't rebarrel any of their rifle to anything other than its original configuration. What I have been told by people who work at Pine Tree Casting, the Ruger plant that makes the 77s, is that unless your last name is Ruger, or you're related to someone who is a Ruger, you don't get any exception to policy.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This cartridge has been around a long time.

DT

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote