Find
Notify
Tools

what is a .358 Well's Express?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted
I saw this in a picture and it's bugging me. Anyone have some knowledge to share? I may have mis-spelled the name, could be Welle's? Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know interboat? He reported shooting one. I admit being very curious about this WILDCAT, as well!!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Well I have no clue. I had heard of a 350 Wells Express based on a necked down Wby. I would assume they might be the same. I stole this from the Gunbroker Forums:

""Just as a small correction, the 350 Wells Express was created and shot in the mid 50's shortly after the introduction of the .378 Weatherby on which it is based. The .378 was necked down to 35 caliber. It exceeded 3000 fps. then and supercedes that now. With appropriate modern powders, the 250 grain bullets can approach 3300 fps.""

If I fool Loadtech to think the 358STA has the same capacity as the 378Wby it says that 3200 is easy with a 26" and a couple powders do give over 3300FPS. That is if you want to set of 120 grs of powder behind a 250gr bullet.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at the T-rex casing the 358 wells looks close.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .366torque:
Looking at the T-rex casing the 358 wells looks close.

I agree completely. I was hoping to find someone who knows for sure. Woodsracer indicated it was on a .505. It looks like the same case as the Trex so what is it based on? I'd need a brake and a heavy rifle for this one I think.
It'd make me nervous to shoot it the first time. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shared an email with interboat a few months back where he mentioned that Elmer Keith had a "little" .35cal put together by I assumed the late Fred Wells. If I remember correctly, interboat mentioned that it was based on a 404Jeffery case. Could this be the same as the 358 Well's Express ????
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
358 wells express is .378 wby necked down. (Same case/capacity as a .416 Rigby) If you want something really interesting, check out the .366 DGW (David G. Wells) pretty much the same but with a 9.3mm projectile.....

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IdahoVandal:
358 wells express is .378 wby necked down. (Same case/capacity as a .416 Rigby) If you want something really interesting, check out the .366 DGW (David G. Wells) pretty much the same but with a 9.3mm projectile.....

IV

I'm not being arguementative, however there is no belt on the 358 Wells case here.

http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/Wildcats.html

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
That doesn't surprise me, my partner who wildcats much more than I do mentioned that one of the criteria of a true .358 WE is that the belts are turned off.....(Maybe using .416 Rby. brass????)

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes sense. Thanks Idaho! thumb

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Sounds like to much trouble to me. I've been thinking it would be fun to set up a medium bore, long range toy but I have to start outfitting my younger boys. It'll be fun anyway but the payoff should be huge.

I'f I ever run into a .30/.378Wby or a .338/378Wby I may bite just to try it. A .35 cal at over 3000 fps though has definately got my wheels turning! Nate

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 35-338 LM would get the job done I'd imagine. It would "only" have a .33" neck or so, and you wouldn't reach cannelures on most bullets, but the forming would be cake. While one was at it and if so inclined, it could certainly handle some improvement just to make sure you have an absolutely insane amount of powder....
Side note: I drew up an "improved" Rigby case at 2.85" long (.40" neck, .08"/inch taper), and it held about as much powder as the real one at 2.9" or whatever. Interesting.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hoeram
posted Hide Post
The 358/378 RG ( REAL GUN ) is based on the 378 WBY and looking at his data for the rifle it will shoot 3200-3400 FPS with 200-250 gr. bullets. His platform was a ruger #1 375 tropical rebarreled at 26" this looks like a nice round but it's not alot faster than a 358/300 Ultra IMP. it's faster just not by light years and the diff. in the amount of powder is quite a bit. You can see the info on this at WWW. Realguns.com

Hoeram Big Grin

NRA Benefactor Member
USAF Ret.

Posts: 166 | Location: Fruitland , WA. | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote