Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 barrel, need cartridge choice
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted
I put $$$ down on an obermeyer 6.5 mm barrel. My first choice was 6.5X57 but I am leaning towards the 6.5-06. Not 100% sure about the twist. The action is an old turk mauser that has been surface ground and reblued.

Any other suggestions? This will be my first wildcat. I may be interested in the AI but I dont know if the velocity gains are worth it.

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the 6.5x284 right now which would fit that Mauser action with no problems. I'm getting <.5 MOA right now just fireforming brass and working up loads. I'm shooting the 142 grain Sierra MatchKing at 2950 fps and have no pressure signs so far.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The 6.5x57 is a good choice but before I would AI that, I would go w/ the 6.5x.284. You can even get factory brass & some ammo.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mousegun,
The 284/6.5 is pretty much the big dog these days. Outstanding accuracy and as mentioned, components available now. Only negative I have ever heard was somewhat of a short barrel life, but mind you that is coming from match shooters, not from hunters/sporting rifle fans???

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5-'06 (or 6.5X63) hunting rifle built on a Shilen 9" twist barrel. Very accurate, and handles bullets up to the 160s.

It will shoot the Hornady 160 gr RN, but does not shoot the 165 Barnes original very well (4" groups).

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Mouse:

I like the 6.5-06. Very easy to load and deal with, brass is never a problem, neither is feeding from the magazine. A Mauser though, can be a little short for the 63mm case, unless the Smith sets up the throat, in a "short" fashion, or the magazine is fitted with longer bottom metal.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Since I own and shoot a 6.5/284 I am overly prejudiced for that choice, it would work perfectly in your action and is the ballistic equal of the 6.5/06. Brass with the correct headstamp is available from several sources, and quality is excellent. It's really a no-brainer!

Wink

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mousegun:
I put $$$ down on an obermeyer 6.5 mm barrel. My first choice was 6.5X57 but I am leaning towards the 6.5-06. Not 100% sure about the twist. The action is an old turk mauser that has been surface ground and reblued.

Any other suggestions? This will be my first wildcat. I may be interested in the AI but I dont know if the velocity gains are worth it.

The turk action lends itself better to the 6.5x.257 cartridge than any others. The AI version is called the .260 AAR (All Around Rifle) and would be my choice rather than the 6.5-06 or the 6.5-284. Velocities of various bullet weights from 85 to 120 would be close but the 140 will be less than these other cartridges........but so what! For normal shooting ranges up to 300yards (thats a long way, neighbor) the .260 AAR will stay with all of them and the deer, antelope or elk will not comprehend the difference if you can put the right bullet in the right place.
My vote is with the .260 AAR...plan on building one myself in the not too far distant future.

Ol' John

Posts: 22 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am just about ready to order a 6.5/284 from OTT .What twist would you get ? 1:8 or 1:9 ?
I am going to set the barrel up on a TC Encore frame .
Also wondering about what length barrel to buy .

Posts: 1362 | Location: Madison ,NH, usa | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MAINER1234:
I am just about ready to order a 6.5/284 from OTT .What twist would you get ? 1:8 or 1:9 ?
I am going to set the barrel up on a TC Encore frame .
Also wondering about what length barrel to buy .

What do you want to shoot in it? The 1:9 will shoot all the hunting bullets up to the 140 grain weights.
If you you want to shoot the 142 and heavier bullets I would use the 1:8.
With the Encore you can go with a 28-30" barrel and still have a pretty handy rifle and this will help you get to the higher velociies that the long bullets need.
I'm shooting the 142 grain Sierra matchkings at 2950 fps right now but I'll be loading up 3,000 fps through a 26" Krieger barrel with a 1:8.5" twist.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John R.,
Please clarify, is the 260 AAR similar to the 6.5/257 Roberts AI?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Shooter

Posts: 620 | Location: Mossyrock, WA | Registered: 25 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Fjold in regards to the Sierra 142G.I'm shooting a 98 W/ 26" #7 contour in 6.5/06.+ getting 2950 W/51.5G.4350.I would'nt recommend going to the AI version as the std. 6.5/06 is already to bore cap.+ the AI will give diminishing returns.The 6.5/284 might be as good a choice considering your action.According to Ackley in this calibre you can achieve 3120 MV W/4350 + 140G.Whereas the 6.5/06 W/53.0G.4350 + 140 will yeild 3175 MV.Using the Sierra 142 you can use the 140G data due to ogive const.Thats for practicality,but for sheer beauty + anachronistical delight I prefer my 1903 M/S,6.5x54.As Hemingway described so eloquently in "Islands In The Stream";the little 256 Mammlicher with the 18" barrel they don't sell anymore.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Bulberry 6.5-06AI 24", 1 in 9". It has shot under MOA with everything I have shot in it. Currently using 140 Corelokt at 3000+/-shooting under 3/4" at 100 yds. A friend took a doe at 390 lasered yds with the gun this past season and it was a bang...flop.....that's all I have to say about that.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by geoff:
John R.,
Please clarify, is the 260 AAR similar to the 6.5/257 Roberts AI?

Thanks in advance.

Geoff

Geoff,
It is my understanding that they are the same! If you have P O Ackley's "Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders" Vols 1 & 2 it is listed as the .260 AAR. A really great cartridge for the medium length actions such as the Mauser 98, Yugo 24, 24/47, 48 etc. I am a real big fan of the 6.5 bore and hope to build one -- someday.
Right now the 6.5x55 BJAI is at the top of the list to build. Also have a 6.5-06AI in the works ... Hope I live long enough to get them all done.

Ol' John

Posts: 22 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x284 is a great ctg and in my book the only way to go.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
6.5 saum pushing a 142 smk at 3150 is pretty awsome. hogger

Posts: 12 | Location: cen pa | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Geoff,
The easiest way to make cases for the 260 AAR [All Around Rifle] is neck down 7x57 cases to a force-fit in the new AAR chamber. You will notice an "artificial shoulder" on the neck of the case. This assures the case is supported by the bolt/datum line and then fire-form with 7-9 grs Bullseye and a cheap bullet. For my AAR I do a lot of work and use Lake City NM 30-06 cases and shorten them and then go through the same steps. They do last pretty much forever though. This is still one of my favorie cases/rifle. It got the nickname in Hawaii of "Goat-Gun".

Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mousegun
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Is the 6.5-284 really that close, ballistically, to the 6.5-06? According to the Hornady manual, the '06 is about 200 fps faster with the 140gr bullet. Maybe when loaded mag length it looses that much more case capacity. Has anyone actually chronied the two to compare?

------------------------------------
Originally posted by BART185

I've had another member on this board post an aireal photograph of my neighborhood,post my wifes name,dig up old ads on GunsAmerica,call me out on everything that I posted. Hell,obmuteR told me to FIST MYSELF. But you are the biggest jackass that I've seen yet, on this board!
--------------------------------------

-Ratboy

Posts: 194 | Location: Copperhead Road | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote