Find
Notify
Tools

358-7.62x39
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted
Has anybody necked up a 7.62x39 to 35 cal?

Sense Indiana has decide to permit the use of rifles chambered for handgun calibers for deer hunting it has also has set the ball rolling on some wilcats. As I understand it the case length is 1.5" max and the minimum caliber is 35.

One guy has necked up a 25wssm to .358"

I would post a link but its on anouther forum.

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
9x39 .. the russians did it 25 years ago as an entry round... smaller than a 35 rem

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38565 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
brass

No reason it would not work. Just make sure you get a shoulder big enough to control headspace.

Before you go too far you might want to do some searching on the different shooting forums. This subject has come up several times as hunters are looking for cartridges to stay withing the new laws that have been enacted or are being considered. There have been some pretty good cartridges discussed and proposed and maybe you can get some first hand experience from guys who have actually tried some of them

Good Luck

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a recent discussion about this on this forum.

35x39

Posts: 57 | Location: North Central Washington | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5 grendal necked up to 375 that works ok but is still in testing and not likly to go past it. the grendal brass is very good and already blown out some would work nice .

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brasskeeper,
I did this just recently. It's still not a finished project. I learned a lot with this project, and will eventually get it to completion. The latest stumble is getting a .473 bolt to reliably pick up and extract the smaller case rim. Here are a couple more threads on the subject.
Link 1
Link 2
I have tried to size down/reform some other cases to get this on a .473 case head, but have not had much luck yet. Ideally, starting with a PPC/7.62X39 boltface would be the way to go. Others have said they had no problens with extracting the smaller case, but it just didn't work for me.
Hunting season has interrupted my efforts, but I'll pick it back up after the first of the year. Good luck in your efforts,,,,,,,,Bug.

It's the little things that matter.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bug:
I have tried to size down/reform some other cases to get this on a .473 case head, but have not had much luck yet.

My .358 X 41 is such a cartridge and gave me no problems. Be glad to help if you send a PM or E-mail. With E-mail I can send photos. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote