New
Find
Notify
Tools

26 Nosler ...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nothing like a new case to get wildcatters salivating. Dragged from 24hourcampfire, not sure whether official or not.

[/quote]

Look familiar?

Vital stats pending, it appears to be a very simple chamber clean-out for 7mmRemMags, 338WinMags, maybe even 375Rugers.

If verified that it's RUM based ... might even make excellent donor brass for the AR series.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Is this new cartridge going to truly out preform the 264 Win without a propriety powder? It's just another over-bore cartridge, cool looking but possible just another dead cartridge in a few years.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
Is this new cartridge going to truly out preform the 264 Win without a propriety powder? It's just another over-bore cartridge, cool looking but possible just another dead cartridge in a few years.

horse X 2 beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this new cartridge going to truly out preform the 264 Win without a propriety powder? It's just another over-bore cartridge, cool looking but possible just another dead cartridge in a few years

Since you are hard pressed to use all the capacity of a 264Wmag in a 26" I can't see a reason for this one.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
So, they release a slightly longer WSM or shorter RUM, depending on how you want to look at it. This really should have been a 30 cal.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thecanadian:
This really should have been a 30 cal.

Give them time ... a 7mm, 30cal, 338cal will all fit the 'long-range' theme. 30cal is well populated though.

The capacity is also there to exceed the 375Ruger in 375cal and make a handy 416cal or better yet a 423" to distinguish itself from the common 416s.
Cheers...
Con

One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
Naw... 30 caliber is very well covered. I think a new offering in .338 caliber on the same case would be great.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
Naw... 30 caliber is very well covered. I think a new offering in .338 caliber on the same case would be great.

The .30 cal magnum is very well represented, they all just happen to have a belt though. Looking at all the 404 Jeff. based cases, I think that the only ones they got close to right was the 338 RUM, 270WSM, and 25 WSSM.

If I was CEO of Winchester before the short fat magnum craze I would have come out with a lineup like this:

25 WSSM
6.5 RSAUM
270 WSM
7mm-26 Nosler-30 degree shoulder
300-26 Nosler- 30 degree shoulder
338 RUM

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1088 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
65,000 PSI ...... don't put this in your GEW or Turkish Mauser !

Owning a 244 H&H you learn all about very high pressure small bores. (Mine is a custom with a 6mm not .240 bore). Tore the extractors out of 700 bolts (a SAKO extractor fixed that) and an 80 gr TTSX at 3700 fps is impressive.

I thought the experts had agreed that the 6.5/284 was the cat's meow so why this ? The barrel makers will love it for sure. I'm sure Remington and Winchester will rush to chamber for it.
After all they did so well with the SAUMs and WSSMs.

Buy a box, shrink wrap it and your grandkids will have a real collectible.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boddington has a review in Guns and Ammo, fairly complimentary, as he always is.
Not sure of the niche for this one though other than Nosler is championing it.

Posts: 10295 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Point blank to 415 yards? No problem. Scope C/L 4" above bore C/L.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
.532 casehead and .550 web . that is the rum base .. 2.590 case length, and 35 degrees? 96.4 ammo guide suggest case capacity?

my goodness.. the accrels rum based rounds are 2.55 and 36.5 degrees .. and about 100 gr..

hold on.. 2.166 shoulder length vs 2.15 shoulder?

well,goodness, i designed this case, or darn close to it, in 2005 ...

funny, aint it?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38667 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
and, yep, i designed a 264 on it and you could us the rum based accrel headspace gauge ... very intereting

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
and, yep, i designed a 264 on it and you could us the rum based accrel headspace gauge ... very intereting

What is the Accrel's headspace dimensions?

2.2390" min - 2.2490 max is listed on the 26Nosler.

Contacted Nosler yet for your royalty cheque? Big Grin
Cheers...
Con

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
not after check ... i aint jamison ... though the idea for a roughly 2.5" supermag did pop into my otherwise empty head in the early 90s .. about 93, as i was building my first 358 winchester

#dumptrump

476AR,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
not after check ... i aint jamison ... though the idea for a roughly 2.5" supermag did pop into my otherwise empty head in the early 90s .. about 93, as i was building my first 358 winchester

So what are you going to do cowboy?