New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: A "medium" 300 RUM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gustavo, It is designed to fit in a Remington 700 magazine, the 7mm/338RUM does this and the 30/338 RUM will also. It has .080" freebore to keep it short enough for the 700`s 3.7" magazine, Tim

The 338 RUM case length is 2.760"

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The OAL is setup to be 3.650" or less, the rifle has not been built yet. This is less capacity than the full bore 300 Ultra so I feel it is an improvement, both in less overbore and it fits the magazine with bullets seated out kissing the lands. I do agree.

So, with that OAL it won't fit a standarf length action, Am I right?

tks!

PS: I mean a Ruger 77Mk2 in .300WinMag

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gustavo
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Gustavo, It is designed to fit in a Remington 700 magazine, the 7mm/338RUM does this and the 30/338 RUM will also. It has .080" freebore to keep it short enough for the 700`s 3.7" magazine, Tim

The 338 RUM case length is 2.760"

Do you have the final OAL? and an performance data?? My guess, is that being a little bit less overbore than the parent cartridge, its burning characteristics could be a lightly improved, do you agree?

tks!

Posts: 748 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina | Registered: 14 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The OAL is setup to be 3.650" or less, the rifle has not been built yet. This is less capacity than the full bore 300 Ultra so I feel it is an improvement, both in less overbore and it fits the magazine with bullets seated out kissing the lands. I do agree.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you're trying to get is ballistically equivalent to the .30 Newton developed early in the last century. It's length is short enough to fit the "standard" Mauser 98 & Winchester pre-64 Model 70s. The new Win 70 Classic action is somewhat longer I believe, and the Rem. 700 longer than that. Nothin' new under the sun!

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little confusion of terms here, I'm afraid.
The "standard" length for a Remington is 3.66" or so, in fact a long action.
The term "standard length" is often applied to actions that will hold the '06 case (3.34" or so,) such as the K98. If that's what you have, this cartridge will not fit.
Hope that's clearer.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30/338 RUM I have will fit inside a Remington 700 magazine box which is 3.7" I don`t know if this standard but I would think it is for Remington.