Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 416 Canuck (Formerly the T40E2)
 Login/Join

posted
This is the 416 Canuck (Renamed from the T40E2 by a member on another board)

There is a slight taper on the case, alittle more then the RUM's normally have as its the same taper over a shorter distance (base of the case is .550" not shown on the drawing). Smiler

Its pretty much a whole half inch shorter then the 416 Taylor.

With the help of a member on another forum and a couple of calculating programs I got the fallowing infromation:

Case Capacity: 80.3gr of water.
Case Capacity: 0.318 in ^ 3
Case Capacity: 5.211ml/cc
Useful Capacity: 4ml/cc

Powley computer calculated:
Charge weight: 54.3gr (DONT USE NOT TESTED!)
Powders good for use: IMR 4320, IMR 4895, IMR 4064
Best Match, IMR 4895
Velocity: 2,000fps (well 1980fps but its easier to do the math with 2000fps)

Using Point blank:

Energy at Muzzle: 3552

Zero calculation:
100 yards = 4.62"
200 yards = 0.00 Zero
300 yards = -17.27"
400 yards = -50.43"

Recoil Calculation: 35.89ft/lb on a 10lb rifle, 23.92ft/lb on a 15lb rifle.

Taylor Knockout Factor of 47.54. Smiler

What do you think ?? Confused

Dimitri

Posts: 9 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
you have just "Recreated" the 416jamison and416 mann, or the 416xwsm (perhaps x7wsm)

the 416 AR is the same length as the 416 taylor, with more capacity than the 416 rem.. and you will NOT find a SINGLE RUM case that is .550 at the base

hit my website in my signature and look at the 416 AR

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
According to the drawing I have in my copy of the Lee Modern Reloader .200" away from the base of the case its .550". Sorry if I didn't use the proper term.

I never heard of any of the 4 your just listed, only heard of the Taylor. Smiler

Reason I went with the RUM as the parent case is I've got a supply of free 300 RUM cases to do this with. Big Grin

Dimitri

Posts: 9 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Also I think the 416 AR is larger then my 416 version. Smiler

Not too sure though. Confused

Dimitri

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the rum brass SPEC is .550, but the results aren't.. i haven't seen them larger than .548, and generally .547... we are trying to have jamison make spec brass, but that's going to be after his govt' contracts

here's the ARs

the 416 jamison is the "parent" of them
the 7wsm is 2.1, or just a hair larger than the others

the 416 mann is the 300WSM to 416, and it just at 80 gr

the 416 B&M is 2.295
http://ammoguide.com/?catid=552

the 416 GNR is the rimmed version
http://ammoguide.com/?catid=347

and noveske did the .458xwsm

#dumptrump

476AR,

posted Hide Post
The 416AR is longer then the one I made up by half a inch. Smiler

Its as long as the Taylor, which isn't what I was looking for. I was looking for a lower powered .416 caliber. If I was going to get a .416 that big I'd have simply used the .416 Taylor. Smiler

Dimitri

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
D,
the 416 mann is 2.050 cases

#dumptrump

476AR,

posted Hide Post
Oh I see, well this sort of sucks that there is something similar.

What do they use to form the 416 Mann ?? Confused

However I'm probably going to stick to my original drawing once I build a rifle chambered in 416, only because at the time I didn't know all of these wildcats existed. Razzer

Dimitri

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Sorry, Man..
Richard Mann and Charlie Sisk came up with this, as far as I know. It's a resized 300WSM
i've got one on my desk... they wanted something to put into the various m70 WSM actions

#dumptrump

476AR,

posted Hide Post
Its ok Jeff, figures someone already came up with something similar. Smiler

Still I rather like my version, because I thought it was unique at the time, I'm not into the wildcat world myself. Plus this was more or less ment to modify a M700 in RUM to shoot this. I know someone with 300RUM that doesn't reload so I already am inline for all of the brass! Big Grin

Dimitri

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Dimitri -

Don't feel bad, many folk often come up with the same idea at 5the same time, completely independent of each other.

For instance, there is another member of this board who has been shooting a .416 WSM built years ago on a Montana 1999 action. I know he didn't get the idea from Charlie Sisk or anyone else, because were were sitting down together wtalking about our charter-ordered but as yet never made 1999 actions, trying to decided what we would chamber them for, when the idea popped into our heads. I decided on 9.3 on the WSM case, he decided on a .416.

So, your idea is not worth any less because someone else also thought of it. In fact, that would say to me that as at least two people think it makes good,logical, sense, it could be a very good concept.

If you would still like one, build it. It will still be YOUR invention in YOUR rifle.

Best wishes,

AC

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yah sometimes you come up with something you didn't know existed till someone elses mentions it.

Anyways I'm going to order the reamers and dies needed for this round in the exact dimentions I figured out. And try it out in the hopefully nearer future. Big Grin

Dimitri

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
You might try measureing some of the 300 RUM cases that you have. Everything I have is around .545" . You could go with .550" on your chamber to allow a little extra room for chambering a dirty cartridge or whatever, just know that the brass will not fit exactly.

Have you seen the Ruger Compact? It's a short action, short barrel in short rounds from 223 up to 325 WSM.

You might also cut off a case to length and see if you can neck it down somehow, seat a bullet and measure the actual neck OD. Then you can make sure the chamber reamer will make enough clearance before you order it.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lar45,

Thanks for the reply.

I will measure the case to see, but I was wondering I was planning on reloading these with custom Lee Reloading dies, specificlly their collet dies which are neck sizing, so if I'm just neck sizing that base after the first firing would stay the same roughly and allow positive holding in the chamber anyways no ?? Confused

I realize the neck will probably thicker, but I was planning on when forming the brass for the first time to turn it down to "spec".

Dimitri

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Turning the necks on the first forming would definatly work.

If there is a noticeable difference at the base, you could take a small strip of tape to go around the base of the cartridge so it would be centered in the chamber for the first fireing. that way the case head would end up in the middle instead of have one side expand out to fill the chamber.

If you ever had to size the base or body of the case down, you could use a full length RUM size die. There should be enough clearance for your .416 neck to not hit the shoulder of a 375 RUM size die.

Sounds like fun.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well the case is really cut as far back to allow the brass to be formed with the shorter 375RUM without using the neck or shoulder area my OAL of the brass is over a quarter of a inch shorter then the 375RUM, this was intentional as I wanted to make sure the neck, the shoulder, and the more upper part of the body which can stretch not only in diameter when first fired but also move "forward" during the firing was scrapped. Smiler

Dimitri