New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 X375 Wea or RUM or 9.3- 338 Lapua?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
I have only heard of the 9.3-375 H&H (Hawk?) or a 9.3BS (9.3-8mm rem mag?) and the .366DGW (based I think on a .416 Rigby).

So, has anyone come up with a 9.3 X375 Wea or RUM or 9.3- 338 Lapua? How might they compare to the .366 DGW (about a 250gr @3253fps or 300gr @2911fps- Source: Cartridges o The World, 10th ed.)?

I see an advantage as to increased velocities, slightly less recoil and better S.D.s (with less weight) over reg. 375s with a 9.3 but what are some disadvantages, aside from being a wildcat?

Reasoning would be to have a DG caliber that is flatter shooting and better penetrating than a 375 for use on North american animals (elk, moose, grizzly, brown)and African Plains game. A 9.3 286 gr. Partition� has a B. C.- .482 and S.D- .307 vs. a 375 300 gr. Partition� B.C.- .398 and S.D. .305

Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's the 9.3 Real Guns, or .366 RG whichever, which is the 378 Wb necked down. Google it. He had some pretty insane velocities, as you'd expect. Couple things to consider: 1st, the more powder, the longer barrel you need to reasonably utilize it. A 26" 338 RUM and Lapua run pretty close with 250g and under bullet weights, simply because there's no time to burn all the extra powder well. 2nd, beware the QuickLoad figures in COW, especially when comparing to real load data. He uses various barrel lengths, bullet coatings and pressure max's, that don't compare easily to most data, on top of the dubious efficacy of the program, great or small as it may be.
If you really like the idea, I would consider doing a 9.3x375 RUM, which would give you most of what you're looking for.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WOuldn't the 9.3x375rum basicly be the same as a 9.3x70 which if I understand right is based on the 404Jef round?

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I did Google it but came up with nothing, however; thanks for the heads up with some great tips on the rest.

Cheers,
CL

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh...I did find a 358-378 RGs. Maybe that is what you are speaking of...

Dave, you seem to be right! I just checked and the RUM is based on the 404J with a rebated rim. Given that, maybe someone would be better off with the 366 DGW (a directly necked down 416 Rigby) since I believe that the 416 has a large case volume than the 404J.

OK, anyone just have the case volumes (water) of the 404J compared to the 416 Rigby?

<JOHAN>
posted
CanadianLefty

Info about 9,3X70. Check Hatari Times. Select guns in the menue and then download the article. http://www.hataritimes.com/e/index_e.html

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, very good article. Thanks.

I am learning something new each day.

one of us
Picture of JefferyDenmark
posted Hide Post
Why reinvent the wheel the 9,3X70 magnum is a rare classic Hermann G�ring used it

Cheers,

Andr�

Posts: 2293 | Location: The Kingdom of Denmark | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the 9,3 RUM in my collection, but i dont know the ballistics on it.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
If I remember the article correctly??, I would never have a cartridge designed by Hitler's friend or colleage...hahah

I am just interested in these wildcats for enjoyment. Let's se what else we 'dig' up on them

<JOHAN>
posted
CanadianLefty

You need to read the article again, since it was not designed by Hitlers friend or colleage. If you don't get it read it a few more times

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you guys need to reread the article until you get to the part of text quoted below... Sure, maybe not designed by him, but possibly somewhat ASSOCIATED WITH HIM--I knew I had seen something linking the cartridge to Hitler

Quote:

The 9,3 x 70 Magnum of Reichsj�germeister Hermann G�ring by Jon Speed

Besides being the head of the German Airforce, Prime Minister

of Prussia, Minister of Civil Aviation, and generally being

Hitler�s most loyal follower during World War II., Hermann G�ring < !--color--> was also an avid hunter and collector of sporting guns

and rifles...

<JOHAN>
posted

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 9,3 x 70 Magnum of Reichsj�germeister Hermann G�ring by Jon Speed

Besides being the head of the German Airforce, Prime Minister
of Prussia, Minister of Civil Aviation, and generally being
Hitler�s most loyal follower during World War II., Hermann G�ring was also an avid hunter and collector of sporting guns
and rifles...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
of Civil Aviation, and generally being
Hitler�s most loyal follower during World War II., Hermann G�ring was also an avid hunter and collector of sporting guns
and rifles...

If you think this makes the cartrige a nazi invention, you have managed to really twist your knickers By your "definition" all hunter and arms collectors could be somewhat associated with G�ring... I find your grounds for associating things very crude to say the least.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, my knickers (BTW, we don't call em knickers in CanadaSmiler aren't twisted...suffice it to say, it is a question of perception of what we read...

If you skim through the article, the title makes it seem that the cartridge is his, then when you reread well...the matter is not significant enough for me to go back to the article again.

Let's call a truce on our initial interpretations and agree that the 9.3X70mm is a fine cartridge that deserves some recognition. Further, a 9.3-375RUM would make an interesting wildcat!

Cheers