New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 AI worth the trouble?
 Login/Join

<Chuck from arkansaw>
posted
I have the lever action bug and after seeing all the cheap Marlins in 30-30 I wonder if getting one and improving it would be worth the effort. From data I have seen published it is only capable of 2,600 fps. with 130 gr. bullets. I have heard it is almost able to hit .300 Savage velocity but havn't seen the load data to back it up. There are lots of used Marlin barrels around so it would be simple to swap back if necessary

<Rezdog>
posted
I have .30-30 and .30-30 AI barrels for my Contender. The AI will give you another 200 fps or so. I haven't converted any of my lever guns because I just can't justify the cost of rechambering. BUT... the .30-30 AI wearing a nice spitzer bullet for single shot is just so SEXY!

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If I were going to get a 30-30 I would have to try out some accelerators just for giggles, but be carefull with spitzers and tube magazines. Its not a good mix Im told. [Wink]

Marlin should chamber some model 336's for the 7/30 Waters IMHO. But it (30/30) is probably a good candidate for a bit more powder, although it will still be a low pressure cartridge and will never reach 300 savage potential.

If you want 300 savage velocities then shop around for one, they too can be had at affordable prices. I have two of them and love um.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you think it's possible to get 2360fps behind a 170grains Nosler with the 30-30AI (in a standard M94 rifle)? The reason I ask is that it then will be legal for moose here in Sweden.

I already know there is the 307Wincheter cartridge that would be a better choice but it's easier to find rifles in 30-30 than in 307Winchester.

Posts: 92 | Location: Jamtland, Sweden | Registered: 26 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Recently rechambered a Marlin in .30-30 with a .308Win reamer. I use .307 Win cases (which is a rimmed .308. Had .308 dies and now have a neat black bear/woods rifle. NO! [Eek!] You can't use .308 data to load it. Keep pressures down to about 40,000 cup.

[ 06-07-2003, 09:37: Message edited by: prof242 ]

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hej j�mt
cogratulation for decovering the great 3030 !!!
wellcome to the club of ol 3030 fans [Big Grin] .
I have 2 3030s and i had the same toughts as you. i may convert my old 340"it shoots rutten but don't miss a moose [Wink] " to AI to be able to use it f�r class 1 games and save money from buying a new rifle.
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read an article a little while ago with an idea I had not considered. To use spitzer bullets, you can make that .30-30 lever gun into a poor man's double rifle. One in the chamber and one (just one!) in the tube. Plastic tip or solid copper bullets should resist damage in the magazine.

Posts: 92 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 06 July 2002Reply With Quote