THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    What kind of ballistics is this cartridge capable of?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What kind of ballistics is this cartridge capable of?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted
A 375-50 BMG Short! Just the cartridge I envisioned about a month ago on this forum! What size action and what kind of action would this require? Anyone with quickload or something that could tell me case capacity and possible ballistics?

Thanks for any replies!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
if you bought it
a $3500 action
$1000 stock
$450 dies
$250 reamer
$200 headspace gages (manson's prices go WAY up on BIG stuff)
$200 barrel
$500 gunsmthing

and if the bullets hit faster than 2750fps, only copper monometal bullets would hodl together.

assuming a 300grain bullet, at least 4000FPS

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38555 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Eeker That's alot of money. And short barrel life, I'm assuming whatever custom twist and 50 cal barrel it would need would cost alot. 300 Grain TSX at 4000 fps...LONG range elk stomper?

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ty:

Barrel life would be the least of your concerns.

As you wouldn't shoot it enough to wear it out til your shoulder was.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5954 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler

The late Skip Talbot played with a very similar cartridge and I'm sure others have as well.

Skip tried the full size 50 BMG necked to 338 but found it to be grossly over-bore and was unable to get anywhere near the loading density he wanted. he then shortened the case about an inch but still only got about 75% loading density. But he did get some phenominal velocities (3700 fps with a 250 gr bullet). His barrels lasted only about 250 - 300 rounds so he abandonded the project.

You might want to look at the new 416 Barrett which comes pretty close to what you are suggesting and is probably a lot more practical than 338 or 375 caliber. The Barret will push a 400 grain bullet to 3250 fps which is still supersonic at 2500 meters. $3700 will get you a rifle, scope and a couple boxes of ammo.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
When I'm 18 and rich I might just pursue the 416. What kind of scope comes with the rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tyler

I think it's a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10X. I don't anything about Bushnell so can't say if it's any good or not. But it must be fairly rugged otherwise he wouldn't sell them.

www.barrettrifles.com

Barret is one of the better "rifles". You can probably get the 416 in a cheaper rifle unless Barrett has proprietary-ized it.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, I'm assuming that scope better be rugged!