New
Find
Notify
Tools

416x240 Weatherby
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A while back I saw on one of the shooting forums that someone was contemplating a 416 based on the 240 Weatherby case. The logic behind this was that the belted 240 Weatherby was almost the same as a 6mm-06, and the belt would eliminate headspace problems associated with a 40 caliber bullet in a 30-06 case. Was it on this forum that I saw this? I think the results would be interesting...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A gentleman who used to post here as AKI and I have discussed this here a time or two (as far back as the original WWWBoard software.) After 20 or more cases ruined without getting one successfully necked up, I kind of put the project on the back burner.

I'm sure we weren't the first to think of this, so perhaps someone else has tried it with better results.

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 284 necked up to .416 is a viable option...take a look at "Cartridges of the World" by Mic McPherson for stats.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nevermind

Jeffe

[ 06-12-2003, 02:31: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

Posts: 38487 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.404 Jeffery,base dia. .544"

.284 Win.,base dia. .495"

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
nevermind

jeffe

[ 06-12-2003, 02:32: Message edited by: jeffeosso ]

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
Bet a case of beer on it?

The .500" case of a .284 is smaller than that of the standard belted magnum. The .404 case rebated and slightly modified is the basis for the Ultra Mag and WSM line of cartridges.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,
Maxumum base dia.of the .284 Win.is listed at
.500",minimum base dia.is listed at .495".You will find more .284 ammo that" mikes "at .495" than at .500".

While .404 Jeffery bases are listed at .544",the only one in my collection measures
.5392".

If you do not have specimens to measure or a good reference,then go to "The Reload Bench"site
on the web.They have specs.for most of the common cartridges.

Not trying to put you down Jeffe,but you goofed on this one.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
might have... been misingformed before... will again...

thanks guys
jeffe

<Fireplug>
posted
I did some early designs for my cartridge that was to be the .416 TAS. This was a .416 based on the .240 WM, but was not quite what you are asking about since it was shortened to 1.92" to fit mini Mauser actions. Due to the greater acceptable pressure the performance (300gr bullet at 1800+) would have been much like a .444 Marlin, but in a petit bolt action.

I ran into two problems one that required a redesign and a second that has put development on the back burner. The first was case bulges at the base of the bullet due to the thick case walls of the parent case. In order to avoid reaming cases I went to .411 diameter and renamed to .411 TAS with no other changes. The second is that the best suited action, the Mini Mark X, is a victim of some an old trade embargo against Yugoslovia and can not be imported.

I have begun work on a round that brings back the .416 TAS name. This one would be in the performance zone that you are interested in, and is the .243 WSSM necked to .416. You have to shorten .300 WSM cases rather than try to neck up .243 WSSMs. I predict a performance of 335 and 350 grain bullets at 2200 to 2100 fps and maybe a bit more.

Fireplug

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information, Fireplug. I still like the idea of a smaller capacity 416, but I've got several other projects that have bumped that one way down the to-do list.

Cannon

Posts: 269 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote