THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    moving the shoulder back on the 416 dakota

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

moving the shoulder back on the 416 dakota
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can this be done? moving the shoulder back so that is a 2.5inch case and fits in a standard action? has it been before?

Rock

Posts: 121 | Location: Elmira, NY, USA | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it could be done, although I can't think of a similar wildcat cartridge. It probably would be easier to neck up the 375 Dakota, so your length and shoulder placement would be the same.

Posts: 2851 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty easy with appropriate forming dies.

It has already been done, the cartridge is the 416 Howell.

I have posted photos of the 416 Howell in the past, and I have Ken Howell's original chamber reamer.

This cartridge works great in pre 64 M70's and the newer Classic CRF M70.

[ 07-19-2003, 03:27: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here it is:

416 Howell on left, 416 Rem in center, 404 Jeffery on right. The bullet in the 416 Howell is seated with the base of the bullet at the neck/shoulder junction, this gives a COL of 3.5", seated at the cannelure, the COL is around 3.34".

The Howell case is formed only, not yet fire formed. Somewhere I have photos of fired formed cases, they look much better.

The 416 Howell dates back to 1981 or so. It did not catch on as 416 bullets were real scarce back then.

-

[ 07-19-2003, 03:43: Message edited by: John Ricks ]

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote