New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm necked down to .30 cal
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Opening weekend at deer camp and saw a buddies case from a gun he had built. Obvious that he had to much pressure. He is looking for some loads for this round. It seems he is looking for
distance. 165 grain bullets thay shoot fast and flat. Anybody playing with this? It is a reworked Rem 700.

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Unless I miss understand what you are saying I would suggest your friend start with .308 loads and he should have a little room to work up. [Smile]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't make sense to neck down a .323 to .308 and a 165, you can get good 170s for a 8mm, and the pressure load for load is less. Are we talking a 8X57 or a mag? Either way that is moot as pressures will escalate give the same or near same bullet weight. The 8mm will give you a few more gns cap to begin with. Take 170gn in both, the 8mm will be shorter. and have longer neck which would be .015 larger. Make more sense to go the other way and go to a .338.

Posts: 56 | Location: Howard City, Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your buddy didn't drop and 8 x 57 into a 30-06 and fire it did he????

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I might need to get a little more info from him. It was a 8mm mag that was necked down. He is hand loading his own ammo so I am sure he new what he dropped in. He is just looking for a load.

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenneth,
Go to the benchrest.com message board to look for loading data for this cartridge. Even though the 6.5-284 is starting to find favor, variants of the 30-8mm Rem Mag wildcat have been used for 1000 yard matches for some time now.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
If it were my wildcat, (thank god its not, [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin] ) I would possibly try some 300 wby mag data in the beast. They are quite similar, but dont take my word on it!!! He needs to work his loads up gradually and starting small like the rest of us.. [Wink] Perhaps someone can give us a case capacity comparison.

Posts: 10145 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenneth,
The cartridge you are talking about is called a 300 Petersen. It's been around for a few years and basically duplicates the 300 Wthby. I have also seen the same round in an improved version made by Kenny Jarret, know as the 300 Jarret. I have always thought this round to be a very interesting elk/moose round with 180 or 200gr. bullets. I have wondered why the 8mm Rem. Mag. case hasn't been necked UP to .338? That would truly bring out the most potential of this case.
I would use the starting loads for a 300 Wthby. and slowly work up.
Regards,
Elk Country

Posts: 180 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I had the round for a number of years; 1:8 twist x 29". Mine took 300 Wby data with no problem. I used a set of 300 WBY dies to neck size and seat, also with no problem.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 300 Jarrett being built right now on a Rem. 700. Here's a link to a thread from another board that may have some helpful information.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=178934&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Good Luck, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
This is nothing but a .300 Weatherby without the venturified shoulder/neck arrangement!

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Elk Country
I'm not sure but I think the 300 Peterson is a 404 Jeffery based cartridge. I'm not trying to start an argument, just not real sure about the Petersen. Maybe some one with Cartridges of the World could look it up.
As stated already you should'nt have a problem with 300 Weatherby starting data though.

Good Luck and God Bless
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, just to poke the fire a bit, I'm gonna say the Peterson is a Rigby-based round.
I believe A-Square used to make brass for it; they could say for sure.
I think the base was around .58" - come to think of it, what's the base on the Pegasus?
Anyway, 300 Weatherby starting loads should do great, as well as 300 H&H, 300 Dakota, and any full-length belted case.
Also, is this guy just "trying" stuff, or is properly working up loads?
I hope the latter, because it would be unwise - to say the least - for him to take some load data that looked like it would perform the way he wanted, then go "try it out."
And just as unwise for you to be anywhere nearby!

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guy at my shooting club had a gun in 300 Jerret. It was a target rifle he shoots deer with. It was made by a man in Dallas. Not sure the name. The guy was trying to kill a deer at a 1000. yards [Confused] He said he had a shooting bench set up in his stand with sand bags and the works. He said he has taken a deer a 550 yards with it. [Confused] Doesn't seem like much of a hunter to me. Well not my kind of hunting. I like to see the whites of their eyes. I can't even see a deer at five hundred yards much less a 1000. Just boogles my mind.

Posts: 93 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 Peterson was the original name of the 300 Pegasus. Art Alphin dropped the name when every lawyer who knew a guy named Peterson started yipping at him (that's his story, or so it says in his loading manual). They are based on an improved (?) Rigby case I believe. The most common 30-8mm Rem Mag is the 300 Jarrett, as mentioned elsewhere. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you're talking could also be referred to as a 300 STW. My father had a similar round built a few years ago. He and a friend both built 338x416 Rem Mags. with 27" Shilen barrels. There's a gunsmith out of Stephenville (I think) who specializes in this round. His name is Garland Gilbreath. My spelling may be a little off. Anyway, his 338/416 is a shooter. Like the other poster said, I'd call it a "target rifle used for hunting", only he doesn't use it for any target shooting. It bests the 338 Win Mag by a fair margin, and accuracy is unbelievable. Pretty much, if you can see it, you can kill it.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I shoot the cartridge and have had two rifles so chambered. One stamped 30-8mmRemMag,the other 300 Super.

My RCBS dies are designated 30-8mm Rem mag and are part #56314. They accomodated both chambers nicely.

Both my tubes would accept and fireform 300Wby Factory ammo into the 30-8mmRem mag hull. I prefer to use 8mm Mags necked down,as their necks are longer and "correct".

I think highly of the chambering and favor it amongst the capacious 30cal offerings. I prefer the 165XLC and Re-22...............