New
Find
Notify
Tools

.325 Ruger
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to get rid of a lot of my guns. Narrow it down to just one or two for North American hunting. Just when I was all set and ready to go out and purchase a .325 WSM (on DJPaintles recommendations) I see this new Ruger .375 coming out, and start thinking maybe that case with an 8 mm bullet would be even better yet.

Does anyone care to venture what that wildcat might be like as compared to the 325 WSM, and even more importantly, using a mauser action how I could get it built so as to be somewhat close in weight to the Kimber Montana in .325.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Help us balance your equation. On one side I see an expensive wildcat that requires handloading.

What do you see on the other side as a benefit to yourself?

From what I gather so far I would select a 300 WSM for you in a Kimber.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage

Balancing the equation I have quite a few guns that I paid very little for that can be sold for much more than I paid so money isn't really an object. What is an object is that I can book any trip I want to book in North and South America for any big game species and I can look in the closet (no need for a safe anymore) and pick up the gun and go hunting. Yes, I know that it "might" be better to have something a bit bigger for big bears, but I don't want to carry anything heavy up any mountains for sheep in case I get a chance to go on that type of trip.

I want light with enough power, which makes me think mauser with a lightweight plastic stock and a relatively short barrel and a light scope.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Based on case capacity its going to probably be fairly similar to an 8mmRemMag. A short (under 24") barrel is probably not the best idea. My Rem700 had its 8mm barrel replaced with a 26" barrel and its still lightweight enough to be carried easily.
Nothing wrong with the 8mm now that premium lightweights (180gr) are available, some excellent heavy weights (220gr) and that magnificent 250gr Woodleigh for the big stuff you really shouldn't be chasing with an 8mm Big Grin.
I say go for it!
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
I want to get rid of a lot of my guns. Narrow it down to just one or two for North American hunting. Just when I was all set and ready to go out and purchase a .325 WSM (on DJPaintles recommendations) I see this new Ruger .375 coming out, and start thinking maybe that case with an 8 mm bullet would be even better yet.

Does anyone care to venture what that wildcat might be like as compared to the 325 WSM, and even more importantly, using a mauser action how I could get it built so as to be somewhat close in weight to the Kimber Montana in .325.

Well Serengeti Rifles might have just what you are looking for. I am almost sure you want find this on their web-site just yet as I just received a PM from Larry Tahler yesterday about the release of their new custom built rifle. It will be called the Jaguar. All Stainless except Timmney trigger which will be Sere-Coted. Stiller Precision Action with fluted bolt; Lilja barrel; bottom metal by Pacific Tool; Mc Millam Stock. Two action length Long 3.850" Short 3.075". Lots of options with stocks and metal finishes. Weight is 6-3/4 all up with 24" # 2 barrel. Expect 1/2" groups with factory ammo. Expected delivery time is 4 months. Left hand models about 6 months out. Serengeti web-site is <www.serengetirifles.com>

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just read my e-mail again from Larry and the approximate weight of their new Jaguar Rifle is 6-1/2 pounds with a #2(.625) barrel 24" in 30 caliber.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
22 WRF,

If your going to travel then a popular cartridge with wide availability matters way more than some esoteric bullet and case combo.

Choose from the 308 Win, 30-06 Springfield or the 300 WM.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Savage

I already have one of each of thsoe plus two .338s. and a .300 wsm. As I said, I want to get rid of all of em and get one lightweight but powerful gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .325 Ruger would be an interesting round; as mentioned earlier it might perform similar to an 6mm Rem, or even a .338 RUM. Although Ruger & Hornady claim a 20" barrel is sufficient for the .375 caliber; I think you will need at least a 24" barrel for the .323 caliber. Also the recoil might be excessive in the .325 Ruger as compared to the .325 WSM, especially in a lightweight rifle.All-pn-all, if it is put togethet with the right componants, you should have a very versitile rifle with long range capabilities.

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Corretion of typo on previous post: 8mm Rem rather than 6mm

Posts: 87 | Location: High Above the Timberline | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
22WRF:

Necking the 375 Ruger to 8mm will give you a cartrige case very similar to the European 8x68S RWS. My inclination would be to go with the factory round, but, if you have your heart set on a wildcat, go for it thumb

Posts: 118 | Location: New Brunswick | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Al: factory is perferable if you are trying for practicality. I love the 8mm (all of them) and an 8x375 Ruger would be very cool and fit into a standard length action. However, unless I was really wanting a wildcat (and that's cool, too; I've had 4 and still have two of them) I'd probably run with the good old .338 Win. Mag.

Posts: 341 | Location: Janesville,CA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I think the 325 AR would be much easier. I thought I would have been hunting with one last fall, but my 325 WSM reamer didn't turn out to what I thought it was. Too big at the base, and RUM brass is smaller at the base than WSM(didn't know that before). .545 RUM vs .550 WSM. It's a good thing that take off Mauser barrels are cheap to practice on.
I cut down a 338 RUM sizer, then cut and formed from 300 or 375 RUM brass. Put into stock 325 WSM sizer turned out a few turns to finish necking down to 8mm. The sholder is too steep in the 325 WSM die and it just buckles the cases. (somebody else here did an 8mmARP? and made brass with 8mm Lebel? dies)
the 2.55" RUM case has about the same capacity as 340wby, slightly more than 8mm Rem mag. IF you did it on the Ruger case you should get even more capacity.

When I get time, I'm going to screw the barrel on an action and clamp to the bench to see how the brass will hold up with lots of extra room at the breach.

What were we talking about again?
is it time to take my meds and go to bed now... bewildered

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I was thinking that the .375 Ruger sounded like a necked up .300 Canadian or Pegasus. I don't have drawings or references here at work but it sounds pretty close.

Introducing it in the improved version of the M77 MKII in the "African" & "Alaskan" may be either a boon or bust for this cartridge. The key to it's sucess will be getting the crowd to try it out. I do think one thing it has going for it is it makes a .375 available to the average joe at a less than custom price. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 375 ruger, at .375 bullet, is about 2 grains difference than a 375HH. let's say between 95 and 100gr at .375

the 300HH is about 86 gr..

so, let's say a 375 ruger, at 338, is going to be 91gr (more or less)

a 338 win is 86 grains and the same length

the 8PMM is a 338 necked to 8MM...

all would be excellent rounds.

a (hypotetical) 338 AR would be about 102-105 grains.. about the same as a 340 weatherby, but the same length as the other ARs.. or the same as a 338 win /8mm ruger...

that under 40 crowd of fast movers is CROWDED

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it would make a great 8mm. According to
Dave Scoville in the Feb. "Rifle" Magazine...the .375 Ruger is mostly a .35 Newton case necked up to .375...slight differences...therefor you are necking it down to the closest Newton would be the .33 Newton( much alike the .338 WinMag)...the .33 Newton gave 3,000 fps with a 200 gr. bullet. The .325 based on the .375 Ruger case would give you more in a 8mm...and would be a shortish, fat case
being able to use a standard action. I think it would be a good idea...and make a very good all around cartridge...its 8mm diameter would let you go to heavy bullets when wanted, lighter bullets for flatter trajectory & lighter game.
A winner in my estimation.
Best Regards,
Tom

Posts: 287 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 02 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Narrow it down to just one or two for North American hunting.

one
30-06 or 300 WM

two
#1. Lots of options between 25-06 to 7mm RM
& #2. 338-06/35 whelen or 338WM

quote:

I already have one of each of those plus two .338s. and a .300 wsm. As I said, I want to get rid of all of em and get one lightweight but powerful gun

Sell them all and buy the rifle of choice in a 30-06 or 300 WM.

I would personally go with a Kimber.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
dunno, but I would buy a factory 338 ruger...

or do a remiturk to get one

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38607 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 9.3 would do it for me!! Big Grin

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You want one or two grab and go rifles....It would be practicle to have grab and go factory ammo to go with it available in variety of loads.
Few would dispute that the 270win&338win are about the best combo for US continent.

If you really want an 8mm theres no doubt I would go 8x68s.If you want to wilcat into another boresize, I would skip 375ruger and base something on the svelt 8x68s case,wonderful proportions indeed. Winchester could have learnt something from that case when producing the 300mag,so could have ruger when creating its 375.

If your happy with one rifle,& want the utmost balance of efficiency,power,carry weight,compactness,slimish barrel,reduced recoil, & if money is no great barrier to you, I would look at a case like 284win,30/06,350mag maybe even376s,depends whether you go m98 or something shorter, do it in .338 or 358bore.
Then, buy/order yourself a stash of GScustomHV pills. Loaded even in those std cases,they will easily match or outperform cupcore.338win performance, in a more a pleasure to shoot&carry rifle.
Sounds a little specialized,but so is the variety of tasks your going to be asking your "adjustable wrench/only child" rifle to do.

The lighest stock I have found for M98 is a BrownPrecisionKevlarPounder' HERE
You will be able to build something very nice between 7.5-8lb.

You could build a trim m70sa 23" 338cal like the bottom rifle.
You can get away with a .580"muzzle,which is what my factory 26"338win mag had.
I would not be shy in going for 376s either, a 235tsx wil take care of any elk at 300yds,and certainly change a bears destiny closer in.If you feel you still need better ballistics, GscustomHV pills will give you that. You can easily tote that around with a .615" muzzle if you have too.

Im sure some would not mind having to multi-task with a 376s looking something like this:

one of us
posted Hide Post
if you like 8mm maybe you find this interesting http://home.snafu.de/l.moeller/Patronen/8-9,3x64S-Brenneke-Mazon.htm
it is a wildcat base on the 9,3x64 Brenneke case simply necked down to 8mm.
It has the capacity of the 2.5" magnum cases like .308Norma or .338WinMag and fits in standard lenght acions.
Montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a person needed something in that power range, my advice would be 338 Win. If more power/ flatter trajectory is needed, 340 Weatherby.
If a person really wanted an 8 mm why not a Remington 8mm Mag.

"There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a 30-06." Lindy Wisdom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sodakota,

point well taken, but you know how wildcatters are...there's always a plan to find another 1% velocity increase or fit more horsepower into a smaller package; like the old Baldwin Motion 454 Vega's from the early seventies. The cool factor of this wildcat is waaaay up there; since it fits in a standard length 98 mauser. I think I would have just gone with an "improved" 8x68S myself.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
woodjack,

have you actually done, or know of, the wildcats on the X68 case? I built a screamer on the 6,5 case, a 257 Banshee. It would make a very interesting build on a 98.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
If you are going to wildcat something, why 8MM Ruger? I would venture a good bet that within 3 years there is a 338 Ruger on the market. Wildcat a 338 Ruger instead.

Heck, the 338Win has plenty of lighter bullets for deer/sheep hunting, and heavy bullets for bears and such.

I see nothing but 'exotic' (not that there is anything wrong with that!) to recommend the 8MM Ruger.

To the original comparison between the 325WSM and an 8MM Ruger, since the Ruger is a long action (and only slightly narrower) you can expect a substantial increase in horsepower using the Ruger case. The usual arguments vis-a-vis wildcat vs. factory apply also...

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just stay with the 375 Ruger? Toss it in a light-weight Mcmillan, work the trigger, and be done with it. They are touting the 375 R as flatter shooting than a 270 win but with a much heavier array of bullets to choose from.Bullets from 250 all the way to 300gr plus should cover any and all game. Yeah it may be a little too much for sheep but i dont subscribe to over-kill dead is dead. There is even a ballistic tip in 375 so any game would be possible, just a thought....

Posts: 498 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 22 May 2004Reply With Quote