New
Find
Notify
Tools

6MM-222
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm sure this has been done, anybody know what the name is? I'm familiar with the 25 Copperhead, but not the same thing in 6MM.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
6X45

one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't that based on the .223? I did some digging, and it looks like it's just the plain old 6MM-222. Nothing fancy, CH4D knew just what I wanted.

Posts: 187 | Location: Nuevo Mexico | Registered: 15 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't find any reference to it, so I guess it's just the 6/222.

The 6*45 is the 6/223, and the 6*47 is the 6/222 Mag.

Posts: 121 | Location: Southern Australia | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think his name is Sam Fadala, but he has an in length article on the 6/222 in an older gun digest. I have it around here somewhere.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nobade,
I just emailed you the diagram, drawing, narrative history and references for the 6mm-.222. Enjoy.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Lightnin>
posted
I stand corrected on the 6X45. Sorry about the mis-information. Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when the 222 hit the market on the following day someone necked it to 6mm thus the birth of the 6/222, shortly thereafter the 6-222 Magnum hit the wildcat market and became known as the 6x47, then the 6-223 to be known as the 6x45, that followed by the shot fat bench rest 6mm rounds on on it goes...

My choice was and is to this day the 6x45 (6-223) a round I have used on pinheads to Mule deer with 100% success. A 75 gr. Barnes X is a sure killer of deer and antelope in open country. I say open country because no 6mm or 22 cal. can be depended on to leave a good blood trail everytime.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray said,

quote:
A 75 gr. Barnes X is a sure killer of deer and antelope in open country.
I'd agree, but Barnes has reportedly QUIT MAKIN `EM.

Drat....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes they have, fortunatly I have a supply on hand that should last me out my lifetime...The 85 gr. BX should work as well...

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone chambered an AR15 for 6X45? The brass is uber cheap, and I'm not that far from Sierra either. I'm thinking about building a 20" A2 rifle on my Cav Arms lower.

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the 6 X 45 but there's a guy who sometimes posts here who did an AR 15 in 6.5 PPC. He's really happy with his 600 yd groups.

Posts: 915 | Location: Breckenridge, TX, USA | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
<DLS>
posted
I built a 6x45 AR 15, w/20" barrel. I used a pacnor barrel, with a M16 A2 contour to keep it lighter.

It's a neat rifle too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was considering the same thing, I want to build a rifle in National Match guise, green furniture, 20" A2, free float tube under the handguards, NM sights, etc. Just a little bit more under the hood...

Posts: 546 | Location: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: 29 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think 6x45 is pretty common in AR15.

From a historical perspective, the 6x47 was always considered much more accurate. Remington (Mike Walker) pushed it when the 40X was "the" benchrest gun. Supposedly, the long neck was a real aid to accuracy and the reason for its superiority over the 6x45(223). They were the kings until the PPC's came along.

From a practical standpoint, there is little difference in a field rifle. However, there is one pragmatic difference. I just set back the barrel of a 6x47 and converted it to 6x45. The little extra in OAL is just enough to make the round too long to work effectively through the action of a lot of Sako 461's and Mini Mark X's. These are generally the actions of choice for these cartridges, and a lot of 6x47's end up being single shots, as mine was.

Posts: 1233 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote