New
Find
Notify
Tools

25 Stevens Conversion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Somebody, sometime, somewhere, probably at the old Shooters website, described converting 22 Hornet brass to 25 Stevens dimensions for use in an altered-to-centerfire 25 Stevens rifle. (Quite the run on sentence, eh!?) Does anyone have any dope on this at all? Looking for any info available. TIA

Posts: 43 | Location: St Lawrence Valley NY | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
Most of the old single shot rifles had the barrel just held in the receiver by a set screw. It's very easy to take any old .22 repeater turn the barrel down to fit the .25 Stevens receiver and file a extractor groove.

My first rifle was a .25 Stevens Favorite and I still have it here. That action is not strong enough to convert to a CF however the Hopkins & Allen might be. Then the firing pin would have to be rebushed also.

What rifle do you have?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The no.3 Rem. rolling block,Win. low wall,Stevens 44,and 441/2 were all chambered in .25 Stevens,it would be a matter of substituting a centerfire block.

A centerfire can be loaded to any level including rimfire pressures.

Centerfire cases for the 25 Stevens rimfire can be formed from the Hornet case using the .25 ACP
dies.

Run Hornet case into the .25acp die untill the
Hornet shellholder contacts the bottom of the die.
Turn the head to .276".Thin rim from the front to .050"and turn rim to .335".Trim to 1.125" and
expand to 25 caliber.Ream if necessary.

I once made a 32 S&W from a .222 Rem just to prove to a fellow it could be done.That was more than twice the reduction needed to form the .25 Stevens CF.You will reduce the Hornet brass by .016-.019 in dia.to make the Stevens brass.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys- the forming info was what I was looking for. I've done a few rim to centerfire conversions on Rem#4 and #6 actions. This 25 is on a Stevens marksman. I'll see if I can find and extra breech block to convert.

Posts: 43 | Location: St Lawrence Valley NY | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote