Find
Notify
Tools

25 Gibbs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
Who's got one and how fast are you getting with a 115.gr bullet?

Anyone have any info at all on this one? I've tried Stevespages but he only lists a load for 100gr. bullets and there is no velocities.

I don't own one but am very interested in what it can do.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Roger Stowers did an article for Handloader a while back. He was able to get 3,300 fps with H-4831, IMR-4831 and H-450 in a 26" 1-10" twist barrel with 117 grainers. This seems reasonable - 200 fps over the parent cartridge. This is what I got when I went from 30-06 to .30 Gibbs.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boilerromm,
I have had a 25 Gibbs for three years now. I like the case design, really maximizes the 06 case. I shoot 115 Berger VLDs and 115 Btips at 3400fps (28" barrel) this is not max in my rifle and 3500prs is attainable. 100gr Match kings go out at 3650fps. Case forming is a three step process and deters some. I use 270 brass and trim, anneal and neck size to creat a false shoulder. I have fire formed cases with 75gr Hornady hp at gophers and with cream of wheat.Both work
Performance is between the 2506AI and the 257 Weatherby.

these are some pics of the forming process 270 case with 75gr pill, cream of wheat formed case and loaded round with 115 VLD

Posts: 95 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Who's got one and how fast are you getting with a 115.gr bullet?

Anyone have any info at all on this one? I've tried Stevespages but he only lists a load for 100gr. bullets and there is no velocities.

I don't own one but am very interested in what it can do.

The .25 Gibbs will essentially equal the .257 Weatherby Magnum. I had a 6.5 Gibbs and it was as fast as the .264 Win. Mag., and used less powder!

The Gibbs line of cartridges has been ignored, bad-mouthed, and under-rated by the shooting community for 50 years, allegedly because Rocky Gibbs "inflated his results", and his cartirdges were "grossly overloaded"!! Actually, neither of these allegations was true. He had a pressure gun, and did not overload his cartridges. He also had all of his loads tested for velocity at Speer, and his velocity claims were accurate!! Roger Stowers' experiments with the whole Gibbs line confirms this. His tests also show that, like the larger magnums, optimal performance of Gibbs' cartridges requires at least a 26" barrel!