New
Find
Notify
Tools

280 Rem VS 280 Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the 280 Remington able to be fired (more than once!!) in a 280 Improved. I have been told this can be done with the AI cartridges. I have a chance to ger a nice 280 Improved but I do not reload. Thanks fo any input...

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the AI chamber is cut correctly you can fire factory ammo, but it will have less velocity and it's hard to say what the accuracy will be like.

Posts: 152 | Location: West Central Missouri | Registered: 07 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've I didn't reload I would consider other options. If the chamber is done correctly you can fire factory 280 in an improved chamber without doing damage to either the brass or the gun. I have several improved rifles. I have a mixed bag. Some shoot OK during fire forming some don't. Do to the larger chamber your pressure will be lower and the velocity lower as well.

If you really want the rifle check on buying reloaded ammo for it or having someone reload your brass. I know there are several places that do it here in Houston.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely make sure it's an "Ackley" improved design. That was his big point.Increase the shoulder angle, decrease the taper, but leave it all to where the factory will headspace. There are many good "improved" designs not intended to fire factory rounds.

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you ready to become a reloader? If not are you ready to pay a premium price to have someone load ammo for you? Please excuse me for being blunt, but I can see no valid reason for owning a rifle in a "non standard" caliber unless you can answer yes to one of the two questions.

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No offense taken! I like the feel of the rifle. The caliber did not mean that much to me. Thanks for all the input. You guys are THE best!!! Have a good New Year!!!

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 280AI is a dream. I shoots very small groups, both forming and shooting full house stuff. My gun is a trued 700 with a Lilja barrel. The chamber was cut with a semi-tight Pacific reamer. I have had no problems at all. I have heard horror stories on the rechambering of factory barrels. My 280Ai is my all time favorite deer gun, I just grin everytime I pull the trigger on it. I used the best componets I could get my hands on and had one of the best riflesmiths I know put it together. Alot of home work went into mine, so did alot of load devolpment. Since you do not reload and/or it is a factory barrel that has been rechambered I would avoid it. Factory 280 is loaded on the mild side. The round needs to be loaded for to get the performance out of it. You have the same powder capcity in a 7wsm that a formed 280AI. I would look there or a plain 7mm Rem mag instead. My 2 cents if it worth that much. Big Grin