Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New wildcat???
 Login/Join

posted
Maybe some of you guys know if this has been done before. I been playing with some design software and I've come up with an interesting combination. I've been looking at taking a .25 auto case and necking it down to .172 w/40 or 50 degree shoulder and minimum body taper. I realize this has probably already been done in some shape or another. I also realize there are already .17 wildcats that probably perform in the same class that would be easier to form. However I like to tinker and I find merrit in the short fat concept.

Has it already been done? If so where can I find info on the cartridge and what is it called?

The encore frame would probably be the best option for a wildcat like this. Due to the size and dimensions of this round a repeating bolt action would probably be out of the question, correct?

Ok guys, you know much more than me on these subjects. Give me the pros and cons of such a round. Also my software won't predict velocity or case capacity. If any of you guys have a program that will, I would love to have the information. I have a hunch that it will push 20gr bullets @ around 3000fps. What do you guys think?

Hillbilly

Posts: 4 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 16 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hillbilly,

I know my friend did one years back on a Martini action, called it a 17 cricket killer. He used hand reamers and drill bits.

Might want to check with the guys at Virgin valley.

Dan

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
How about a 32H&R case, then you could headspace on the rim.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been several discussions about SMALL caliber wildcats on this Board---do a search for 14 Flea, 22 Epperson Cricket, or messages by Vibe (search for member number 8302) and then follow those threads.

Other sites that may be of interest are:

Small Caliber

Woodchuck Den

Jim Saubier

the_captn

[ 09-10-2003, 11:42: Message edited by: captnemo ]

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been many small caliber wildcats:

17 Landis Woodsman (25-20 SS case)
17 Mach IV (on 221 Fireball)
17-44 (44 mag case)
14-221 Walker (221 Fireball case)
17 Flea (25 ACP case)
14 Dart (25 ACP case)
14-30 Carbine
14-218 Bee
14-22 Hornet
17 Jet
17 GSG (32 S&W) by Dick Saunders
(17 cal) 32 Flickertail (32 H&R Mag case) by Saunders
Both of Saunders' wildcats are described in Handloader, 2001 June/July, p 46

On
Small Caliber you should find:
5mm Skat Kat
20 Fireplug
20 PPC
20 BR
20 TNT
20 TNT Turbo
20 Vartarg (20-221 Impr)
20 Vartarg Turbo (20-222 Impr)
19 Hornet
19-223

The two 19 caliber 'cats are by James Calhoon .

the_captn

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Bill Eichelberger would be THE definative person to locate on the small stuff. He has done from 8 to 20 caliber on the 25ACP case (He's done em on the 22LR case as well, but that's another story)

Thanks Captnemo for the kind words. My project with the 22 Epperson Cricket is just a tinkering exersize that got ahead of itself and turned into a major learning experience. LOL. Now I'm working with wildcatting off of the 5.7x28 case. Not a real economical decision...but fun. But I think that you will find that the FLEA searies are based on a 32 caliber parent case.

As for "minimum body taper"???? The 25ACP is a straight walled case, as are the Eichelberger Darts and my Cricket (except for the shoulder). There is no body taper required. In fact I did my first chamber with 2 straight reamers, one for the body, one for the neck. Finished ouot with a taper reamer for a throater, 5� if I remember. (I later had a "proper" reamer ground with a 2� throat - Dave Kiff at Pacific Precision has the drawing). As for the 22 Epperson Cricket...You can find it on AmmoGuide at
http://www.calweb.com/~haas/ammoguide/index.html
Not a lot of pictures of it though

-

Here are Bills LR versions

-

[ 09-11-2003, 07:15: Message edited by: Vibe ]

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vibe:
..... I think that you will find that the FLEA searies are based on a 32 caliber parent case.

Vibe

Wildcat names are a real bear to keep straight---my notes simply list the 17 Flea as being on the 25 ACP case: no reference to a magazine article, so I don't even know where I saw it listed.

I have a reference to a 17-25 ACP: Precision Shooting (Special volume #1),1997, page 37. My notes call it a 17 Flea, but with a question mark, so that may not be its correct name. Also shown is a 17-50 BMG-- a dummy round, just for laughs!

There is a 22 Flea---on the 32 ACP case, as you mention. I've also read of the <B>22 Rush</b> on the 32 ACP case. Does anyone know if this is the same as the 22 Flea?

There is a 25 Flea--on a shortened 22 Hornet case: Guns & Ammo, 1995 November, page 57.

To the original inquiry:

There is a 22 Midget Mag on a 32 S&W Long case: Handloader's Digest #11 (1987), page 5.

22 Lowenstein Luger on the 30 Luger case: Handloader's Digest #5 (1970), page 56.

22 Ferguson ACE on a 6mm Bench Rest Case (most Bench Rest cases are shortened 308/30-06 cases but with a SMALL primer pocket).

You, Vibe, have already started wildcatting the 5.7X28: I expect to see a few more 'cats on this case from others.

Note to the original question: the quest seemed to be for info on Short, Small Caliber 'cats. Besides what I listed (and it is most certainly not complete), there are small caliber wildcats on larger (longer) cases: 17-222, 17-222 Mag, etc; 17-250 (savage case), 14 cal in most of these cases; 228 Yorks (6mm Rem case), 22-243 Middlested, 226 QT (by Barnes), and MORE!!

the_captn

one of us
posted Hide Post
Then there's my Martini--a .17 based on .357mag pistol brass. I inherited the gun, so have no true data on its origin, but I have heard this cartridge attributed to Dick Saunders, too.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave R:
Then there's my Martini--a .17 based on .357mag pistol brass. I inherited the gun, so have no true data on its origin, but I have heard this cartridge attributed to Dick Saunders, too.

My paper list includes a 17 Jet-- I didn't include it in the above list because I'm not sure about its details: The 17/357 case is mentioned and pictured in Handloader Magazine, 2001 Jun/Jul, page 46, in an article written by Ross Seyfried. The article is on cass forming (in general). It mentions the 17 GSG and 32 Flickertail that I listed above---and attributes them to Saunders. It does NOT attribute the 17/357 to him----which does not mean Saunders didn't create it. The article shows making the 17/357 from 357 Mag cases and also from 22 Jet cases. The Jet case has a LONG shoulder; using it to form the 17/357 requires blowing out the case.

I didn't include it in the above list because I don't know if the 17 Jet is the same as the 17/357. That is, is there a 17 cal cartridge based on the 22 Jet/357 mag case that has the LONG shoulder, or is the 17 Jet the same as the 17/357 ? Does anyone know?

thanks, the_captn