New
Find
Notify
Tools

wildcats for doubles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As I understand, Most all double rifle cartridges were designed for black powder and low pressures, and hence the giant cases. Now that we have these really slow powders around, seems it would be a good time to come up with some modern chamberings.
I was reading about A-Square's 416 and 450 Rimmed cartridges, based on a lengthened Rigby case with rim, and was wondering, any other wildcatting going on?
Anyone with QuickLoad or like, could figure how short/thin/tapered a round needs to be and still have acceptable speeds (2400 fps) and pressures (40k psi) with good bullets (300gr .375, 400gr .416, 500gr .458)....
I'd like to see, for instance, one of these big .58"-base rimmed cases chopped down to non-filler lengthed.
What would be the benefits, I wonder?
Maybe better accuracy, consistent performance; maybe more efficient use of powder; maybe more positive extraction via shorter distance to outside of the chamber, what else?

Of course, so much of the double rifle market is about the love of these old cigar-shaped rounds, so I'm sure it woudl be a very limited demand. Maybe a proper project for someone wanting to rebarrel an old lady.

T

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A lot of double rifle cartridges were BP rounds originally, but a lot weren't, also!! ALL NITRO EXPRESS rounds were either designed, OR REDESIGNED, for nitro powder pressure levels. While some were based on BP predecessors, the nitro express cases were changed enough to permit them to be used at higher pressures. For example, the 600 Nitro Express was never a BP cartridge. The others, which were merely nitro loads in BP cases, were labelled "Nitro for Black Powder", and their pressures kept to comparable levels as the BP loads gave, and they weren't named Nitro Express... [Big Grin]

Yes there are some other new "wildcats" in doubles, like the Krieghoff .500/.416, which is the .500 Nitro Express case necked down to fire .416 Rigby bullets. This case of course has the desirable rim, and it produces comparable ballistics to the Rigby round, which is supposedly unsuitable for doubles.... Then there's the relatively recent .700 Nitro Express, which is probably not really a wildcat any more, since a British firm has adopted it.

[ 07-24-2003, 23:43: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
other than the eaa/valmet/baikals, the reason, TODAY, it M O N E Y.

jefe

Posts: 38510 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote