Find
Notify
Tools

Acceptable neck wall thickness
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
Are there any guidelines or can you offer any advice on accpetable neck wall thickness for a
wildcat. I have been miking cases and reading various forums and there are a variety of neck
wall thicknesses. The range seems to be from .010 to .015 inches. I am experimenting with necking down a case and I get about .015 inch neck walls. If this is not too thick then I won't have to thin the necks which I consider a pain in the arse.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
First thing is who reamer are you using, one a gunsmith has or are you ordering one? If it's one the gunsmith has it will have neck size on it, if you order one you can do whatever neck dia you want.
I don't mind turning necks give you an example. I just had a 6x250 build ordered the reamer with a .270 neck which I need to just clean up the necks to .0125. The average thickness of the brass I have is between .013 and .01425. I could of ordered a .274 neck and not bother with necks but being a varmit rifle I wanted to get the best out of it. All my reloading is done with bushing type dies. Well good luck.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesOne of the reasons I prefere designing wildcats with long necks with thin walls is it seals easier if case to chamber clearances are equal. The use of lower pressure reduced loads comes into play as well as the use of cast bullets. Moving a wall thickness of .015" as compared to .011" to acquire a seal is significantly greater. That is of course if clearances are the same. Also seating lead bullets into thick necks can be combersome if you use the same expander as you do with jacketed bullets. For myself I opt for the thinner necks; easier to anneal and less cracked necks generally, clearance beeing a factor. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
There is also the issue of caliber and neck tension. The larger the caliber, the larger the neck wall thickness of course. Although, not proportionally! Perhaps the 6PPC would be a good example of what is optimal in the 6mm bore. Generally the neck thickness is about 8 1/2 thousands. As we know the benchrest crowd centers around what works.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote