Find
Notify
Tools

.257 WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Gents,

I am looking at building a new semi-custom rifle. First off, I shoot backwards, Left-handed. So, action choices are a bit limited. Add to that the fact I strongly prefer M70 or M77MII type actions.........

I can get my hand on standard length M70s or Short Mag lenth M70s. This is my thinking so far, small bore wildcat for deer on down, mostly coyotes. I'm leaning toward a cartridge 'not' based on the '06 case, so WSM?

Any input on WSM based small bores? Have they been successfully done? .257 or even 6mm would interest me the most.

Thank you for your input.

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i built one.. and you can reat the reamer...

it's about 8-80fps slower than a 257 weatherby... deadly accurate.. but very boring

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38608 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very boring? Care to expand on that? .257 Wea. velocity doesn't sound boring to me.......

Is it easy ot load for? Do you think smaller calibers on the WSM case might be feasible?

You might have guessed, barrel life is not a real concern for me...............

Thanks for the info, might take you up on that rental....

CSSA
CPC

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Well,
let' see..
load dev was chimple
gun shot 1/2 moa
excellent repeatibility
right behind the weatherby

heck, i'll even sell you my "reloading dies".. redding 300wsm with the proper collet installed.

btw, it's WAY easier to make the cases from 270 WSM

I was totally in love with the 257 roberts, didn't think the 25-06 was enough difference to rechamber for, didn't want a weatherby,,...

built the rifle about the same time I started building big bores and DGRs (these are NOT the same thing) and pretty much gave up whitetail deer hunting... would rather hunt hogs.. besides, I like what a 416 does more than a .257 bullet... big WHACK, animal down, (same same, right) .. with minimal meat damage in the 416

so, if you have a springfield 1903a3 action, i have a barrel and dies you can buy, and i'll rent you the reamer, if you like.

barrel is NOT shot out... gun was WAY submoa, but I was entirely bored with it, and would shoot 1 round.. a couple from my 416 or 458 or richard's 577, then remember I brought it, shoot another...

that action, btw, went on to become my 416 AR on the springfield.

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffe,

So, if you're not getting pounded you're bored, eh. Wink Well, I'm a recoilafobic so this .257 WSM might be the ticket for me.

As for us doing business, I'm on the other side of a rather complicated border to your north...........

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Much appreciated,

David

CSSA
CPC

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
David,
Nah, but yeah... the root issue may be that the 257wsm/JLS didn't do anything BETTER at my typical shooting distances at game (under 200 yards WITH a rest.. I just don't like shooting long range) than my 257 roberts did.. and even though this was my first wildcat, it just didn't "do" anything for me. Yep, worked great, brass was fairly easy (and got easier with the 270), shot fast, and accurate...

but, realistically, the 'bob did all that, at 2950fps, with ZIP recoil (i like seeing the fireball in the scope) and my wife gave me that rifle for a birthday present....

so, yeah, you can get right with the weatherby, and it's reamer, dies, barrel, and headspace gages away... but, to be honest, unless it's a deal like this, it wasn't "anybetter" than then webby, and not quite as much fun as my 257roberts

jeffe

#dumptrump

476AR,